HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My furnace stopped working. I tried turning the power off

Customer Question
My furnace stopped working....
My furnace stopped working. I tried turning the power off and then right on again; the fan started blowing but the air is cold. Would it help to leave the power off for longer and then turn it back on? Is there anything else I can try?
Thank you!
Ailsa Nielsen
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: HVAC
12/11/2010
HVAC Technician: Matthew, HVAC Technician replied 6 years ago
Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician

Matthew :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you today.

Matthew :

When power is turned off to a bryant furnace then right back on it will bring on the circulating blower for 90 secs and then the blower should cut off and the inducer motor should come on if there is a call for heat. This is the small motor hooked to the exhaust. If the circulating blower continues to run after the 90 secs none stop then the furnace has a tripped limit. On the furnace control board located behind the bottom door of the furnace there will be a small LED light blinking a fault code if this is the case. Let me know if the inducer ever starts up and if the LED ever gives you a fault code blink.

JACUSTOMER-ncb2onxq- :

Thank you. I am not sure how I would know if the inducer motor comes on. There is no heat.

Matthew :

With the thermostat calling for heat you would have to go down to the furnace and take the top door off. Then right next to the furnace there should be a little toggle switch cut off that turns high voltage power off to the furnace. Turn this switch off then back on and stand next to the furnace and observe what it does. You will know if the inducer is running with the top door off you can see the little wheel spinning.

Matthew :

Like I said before the blower will run for 90 secs and then should turn off and the inducer should start up and the ignition should take place. Just observe for 3-5 mins and let me know what the furnace is or isn't doing.

JACUSTOMER-ncb2onxq- :

Is the top door the one that is screwed on or the back side door with all the warnings about electric current?

Matthew :

don't know what the back side door is you are talking about. I think on a bryant the door is held in by a little nob in the middle maybe? follow the exhaust vent into the furnace and it will lead you to the inducer. Take the door off directly in front of the inducer. The gas pipe will lead in to this same area as well. The door should be louvered.

JACUSTOMER-ncb2onxq- :

We have opened the side door to the furnace - there is an off and on switch inside this door; I turned this off and then on (although I believe that this was the gas switch not the electricity). There is a little wheel but it is not spinning; also the furnace is rather loud when the fan is blowing.

Matthew :

the on off switch is on the gas valve. There should be a switch that looks like a light switch on the wall somewhere near the furnace. Need to turn this switch off and on to reset the furnace and see what it does.

Matthew :

found the 80T, it has one big door that exposes all the parts inside correct?

Matthew :

Full Size Image

Matthew :

Inside there should be a model number I need that number to pull up the specs on the unit and I can be much more specific with my directions.

JACUSTOMER-ncb2onxq- :

Yes, that is the door that we opened - I have turned the switch on and off a number of times; the only thing that happens is that the blower goes on and nothing else. Here is the model number: 312AAV042090

Matthew :

Do you see a blinking LED on the furnace control board?

JACUSTOMER-ncb2onxq- :

There is a blinking yellow light - I don't know what the LED or the furnace control board is

Matthew :

Full Size Image

Matthew :

The only things that would make the furnace blower run non stop when in heat mode is a tripped limit or a malfunctioning control board. There should be roll out limits that you can manually reset. These are located around the burners compartment. I'll send a picture. Just press the little button in the center down and see if the furnace tries to ignite then.

Matthew :

Full Size Image

Matthew :

This furnace omits it's fault codes with a 2 digit number. The led will blink a number of times slowly with drawn out flashes then it will blink of a number of times with fast brief flashes. This gives you a 2 digit number. 2 slow flashes then 3 fast flashes = fault code 23.

JACUSTOMER-ncb2onxq- :

The furnace blower is not running nonstop

JACUSTOMER-ncb2onxq- :

Is the burner's compartment behind the door that we removed?

Matthew :

yes. follow the pipe leaving the gas valve down to the burners. These burners are encased with metal around all sides and on this metal there should be these little limits with reset buttons I sent you a picture of.

Matthew :

So the furnace blower does stop eventually when power is reset but the inducer draft motor never kicks in?

JACUSTOMER-ncb2onxq- :

Yes, the blower does stop eventually. I'm inside the side door following the gas pipe and only locating one thing covered on all sides by metal - I cannot find the switch anywhere on this. There are small pipe-like things covered that lead into the furnace, but I am not finding the switch on these either.

Matthew :

Having a hard time figuring out what you are talking about sorry. Do you see the furnace control board with the blinking light? It may be through a little glass peep hole behind a panel covering the bottom of the furnace with the big door off.

JACUSTOMER-ncb2onxq- :

Yes, I see the blinking light behind the liggle glass peep hole. What information did you need from that? Also, I thought you wanted me to press some limit buttons that may ignite the furnace and I am having trouble locating these.

JACUSTOMER-ncb2onxq- :

The light is blinking three long lights and then three shorter lights - is that a 32?

Matthew :

33

Matthew :

is it 3 and 3 or 3 and 2?

Matthew :

we are getting somewhere now hang with me. If you can get me the correct blink code it will make life much easier

JACUSTOMER-ncb2onxq- :

It's three short lights and then two longer lights

Matthew :

perfect. okay this is your pressure switch. I need you to find the pressure switch with the yellow and orange wire hooked to it. I'll send a picture of what a pressure switch looks like. Your furnace has two. Find the one with the yellow and orange wires hooked to it. With the furnace still on and calling for heat pull one of these two wires off and tell me if the inducer draft motor starts up when you do.

Matthew :

Full Size Image

Matthew :

It has the yellow and orange wire hooked to it and also a rubber hose attached to it.

JACUSTOMER-ncb2onxq- :

I pulled the orange wire off and nothing happened.

Matthew :

okay. You have either a bad inducer draft motor or you have a bad control board. You need a volt meter in order to test for 120v going to the inducer. If there is 120v and the inducer isn't running then you need a new inducer draft motor. If there isn't 120v then you need a new control board.

JACUSTOMER-ncb2onxq- :

Thanks Matthew. Looks like we will need to have somebody come to the house and take care of the repairs

Matthew :

sorry it wasn't something miner. The board or the inducer motor are not the cheapest of parts. If your furnace is under 5 years old these parts are under warranty though.

Matthew
Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician