HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

The fan in my RUUD Achiever 90 plus is making noise. How do

Customer Question
I fix that?...
The fan in my RUUD Achiever 90 plus is making noise. How do I fix that?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: HVAC
12/9/2010
HVAC Technician: Richard, Technical Manager replied 7 years ago
Richard, Technical Manager

Hello I need you to be more specific. What is making noise the blower burners? Also, take the top door off and get the model number off the tag on the side. It should read something like UGRA09EAJS

Thank you Richard

Ok, the model numer is RCA-3765GG17. The noise is coming from behind the circuit board. The big silver piece that spins.

hello that is not the model if it is a Rheem or RUUD unit. However the blower is what you must be talking about. If it is a RUUD and 90,000 BTU or larger they had a habit of whining and I can show you a fix if your mechanically inclined. Either way you need to pull the blower out to see if something got in there or if the wheel is out of round. When you take it out you can spin it by hand. If it hits or ticks something there is a set screw in the center of the wheel loosen it and you can slide the blower wheel to stop the noise.

Sorry, the model number is XXXXX I will try taking the blower out, and let you know how it goes.
hello yes a horizontal 90, the blower will come out easy there are two 1/4 inch screws that hold the whole assembly in. Since it is the 60,000 BTU I did not see many blower issues on the small drive. is ti a clicking or whining sound
it is a whining sound
Hello two things can cause this. First and the most likely with this model is the duct static. Now if you have a magnehelic guage you can measure. if not ( and I assume you don't have one) next would be the blower cut off. This would need to be loosened and cut ( if we need to do this I will explain in detail) first do this. Look at the board you will have terminals where the fan motor wires come to the board. They are labeled Heat Cool Fan HEAT/COOL ( this should have a red or black rubber thing on it) and M1 and M2 these are dead terminals. Black wire is hi blue is med hi yellow is med low and red is low. If it makes the noise in heat or cool change the fan speed to a lower setting just for the test. if the noise stops or quiets down you have a duct problem. If it does not get any better we will need to do a little HVAC surgery on it. It may just have never been set up properly. let me know Richard

Before we got to do that, it stopped spinning and seems motor ceased up. Now what?

Hello time for a new motor
Hello make sure the motor is ceased and the wheel is not just rubbing you will still have to take the blower housing out. Thank you Richard
Richard, Technical Manager