Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

We have a york furnace and it blinking 4 times code says its

We have a york furnace and it blinking 4 times code says its an open high limit. what does this mean and can i fix it myself?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rickheatdoc :

About the only thing you can do today is check the filter and be sure it's not clogged up and make sure all the return grills in the house are not blocked.

Rickheatdoc :

If that doesn't work you could have a faulty limit or possibly a clogged AC coil if you have central AC

JACUSTOMER-watadjgl- :

Brand new filter put in last week. New ignitor's installed 2 weeks ago. It is -10 degrees here, checked the fresh air pipe all clear have no clue what to do next.

Rickheatdoc :

You could also have a tripped spill switch they look something like this

Rickheatdoc :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-watadjgl- :

where is that located on the furnace.

Rickheatdoc :

If you push the button in and it clicks you have reset it. There is one above the burners and possibly one on the draft fan

Rickheatdoc :

If it doesn't click it's probably not tripped

Rickheatdoc :

If none of these measures work you won't be able to get parts until tomorrow unless you can prevail upon a service tech to come out today and hope he has the parts in stock

JACUSTOMER-watadjgl- :

looked in box with the ignitor's nothing that resembles a spill switch. Where else could I look for it?

Rickheatdoc :

I'm not following, what does the ignitor have to do with this?

JACUSTOMER-watadjgl- :

where is the spill switch located? I thought you said above the ignitor's or the draft box.

Rickheatdoc :

Above the burner compartment. Look around I can't be more specific, I can't access your manual and I haven't worked on one of these in a while