Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience:  14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations
6927568

my rite temp 6020 heat display just flashes when turned on.

my rite temp 6020 heat display just flashes when turned on. its a gas ahu and the cool air works fine just not the heat. when centerpoint energy turned on the gas to our house when we moved in he said the gas valve is on and it is an electronic ignitor not a pilot light. what could be preventing the heat from coming on

Matthew :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you today.

Matthew :

Is the furnace doing anything at all when turned to heat? Is the blower running?

Customer:

the blower works but no heat comes out just cool air and it only works with the fan in the "on" position on the thermostat but not in "auto". but no matter what there's no heat. the air conditioner blows cold.just cant get any heat out of it.

Customer:

the cold air works perfect

Matthew :

I need you to take the cover off the thermostat and find where the wires hook in. Take the wire under the W terminal and place it under the R terminal with the wire already there. If the installer didn't do anything weird with his wire colors then the wire under W should be white and the wire under R should be red. Tell me if the heat starts up when this is done.

Matthew :

Can you check the jumper pins on the top right corner beside where the wires hook in and tell me if number 3 pins have the jumper in place or not?

Matthew :

There should be a jumper pin connected here. If there isn't and the red wire is hooked to RC then the heat will not work. If you switched the red wire to RH then only the heat would work and not the cooling. With the jumper in place on number 3 pins then RC and RH will both power at the same time.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i looked at the thermostat is has as follows

w- white
y-blue
rc-red
g-green

there is a jumper on 3 and 6
everything looks good there the problem seems to be with the furnace not the thermostat. Take the white wire out and place it under Rc with the red wire. This bypasses the thermostat and should cause the heat to start up if there is nothing wrong with the furnace. If it doesn't start up then there is a problem with the furnace.