HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Fan in outside unit keeps turning on and off, circulation fan

Customer Question
inside comes on, but house...
Fan in outside unit keeps turning on and off, circulation fan inside comes on, but house not cooling. What is the problem?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: HVAC
10/1/2010
HVAC Technician: Bart Jay, HVAC Technician replied 7 years ago
Bart Jay
Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Bart Jay :

Are you at the house now

Bart Jay :

Does it sound like the compressor is running

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

Yes, I am out the house. Yes it sounds like the compressor is running. It makes a buzzing noise and the fan stops.

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

I meant I am at the house.

Bart Jay :

it is probably cycling on low or high pressure

Bart Jay :

can you go outside and feel the smaller copper pipe while it is going on and off

Bart Jay :

let me know if it is cool,warm,or hot

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

I don't know what that means

Bart Jay :

do the same with the larger insulated pipe

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

okay i will go check it

Bart Jay :

should be cold

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

The smaller copper pipe is hot.

Bart Jay :

sounds like the fan motor is overheating and shutting off on its internal overload

Bart Jay :

do you have an amp probe meter

Bart Jay :

how long does the fan run before shutting off and how long is it off for

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

The larger insulated pipe is cool. I only turned the unit on when you told me to check it. The larger pipe is cool. It turns off with a grinding noise then back on. I think I have an amp probe. it shuts off about every 1-2 minutes.

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

it goes off about 1-2 seconds, and then it goes back on

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

I have a tester that reads amps ohms and voltages

Bart Jay :

If you can check the amp draw of the motor and see if it is overdrawing then you know for sure

Bart Jay :

opne the unit find the wire that feed the fan motor and clamp the meter aropund it.

Bart Jay :

check the name plate on the unit to see what the amp draw should be

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

how do i do that, I am a girl, can you be more specific lol

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

ok i will do that

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

by the way now the copper pipe is cool

Bart Jay :

i know girls who are hvac techs

Bart Jay :

thank correct when it is off

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

I put it on the two wires that went down toward fan and it popped, tripped the breaker, and melted the prongs

Bart Jay :

thats not good

Bart Jay :

what prongs melted

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

Well, I am not one, but I could be, but I really dont want to be a tech. So I should turn all the power off and try it again?

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

The metal ones on the tester the ends melted a little

Bart Jay :

yes just reset the breaker and see what happnes

Bart Jay :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Bart Jay :

sorry

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

well, I switched the breaker back on. but the air conditioner is still doing the same thing

Bart Jay :

does you meter look like this one with an opneing to clamp around a wire

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

no it didn't look like that. it has metal prongs at the end

Bart Jay :

then you cant measure AC amps

Bart Jay :

I think you did something wrong

Bart Jay :

anyway back to the original problem i think the motor is bad

Bart Jay :

you sound it sounded like it was grinding also. correct

Bart Jay :

you said

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

it only grinds for a second when it shuts off

Bart Jay :

is the small copper pipe hot when the fan is running

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

they are both cool not cold and the fan has been running

Bart Jay :

and then the fan stops and the small one gets hot? or does the small one get hot and then the fan stopps

JACUSTOMER-exx9xk2l- :

it runs for two minutes turns off for a second and then turns back on. the pipes are both cool not cold

Bart Jay :

Sorry got called away

Bart Jay :

I think that it may be low on freon.

Bart Jay :

the low pressure switch is a safty devise and it is tuning it off becuse the pressures are too low

Bart Jay
Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Bart Jay
Bart Jay
Bart Jay, HVAC Technician