HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

We bought a Hisense 5000 BTU portable AC. It stopped after

Customer Question
We bought a Hisense 5000...
We bought a Hisense 5000 BTU portable AC.

It stopped after 4 hours, all summer long, because full of water.
How do you empty the water? Is there something to open up to get to the bucket?

The only thing we could figure out was to roll it to the stairs (going downwards), and put a pail on the first step to empty it. What a mess, water all over the floor from the bedroom, the hall, to the stairs...
help!
Val
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: HVAC
9/28/2010
HVAC Technician: Will, Specialty Repair Shop Owner replied 7 years ago
Will
Will, Specialty Repair Shop Owner
Chat Conversation Started
Will B :

Heating and cooling devices include motors, blowers, wood stoves, all are electrical mechanical devices.

Will B :

Oh my, yes it is a mess. You have to unplug, and remove the exterior cover, in the bottom is drain hole, and a drain tube, one or both are clogged, if you look closely on the back you might see the tube, I would not suggest trying a coat hanger or anything up the opposite way, it will just go back in sooner or later. Like your car, when you see wet spots on a drive after running the ac, same thing with a portable AC, or your furnace with AC, all have condensation drains. Yours is plugged. Removing the cover UNPLUGGED should take several screws, take some digital photos first and as you go along, just in case you forget where a longer screw might have come from, many times they are not the same length. Once the cover is off, it will be obvious where your problem and drain hole is. You can wash it out with a hose, or whatever means is the less mess, but that is your problem. When you get into it, and you have any problems let me know and I will do my best to guide you.

JACUSTOMER-x5gw5e5k- :

I suppose my AC is new and not plugged. My question, is more specifically, how do we normally empty this device?

JACUSTOMER-x5gw5e5k- :

Is there an opening we haven't seen, to get to the bucket inside?

JACUSTOMER-x5gw5e5k- :

Or a way to connect the drain to a tube that empies automaticially out the window? (The operating instructions don't explain it at all).

JACUSTOMER-x5gw5e5k- :

Correction: my AC is new and I suppose it is not clogged. How do we normally empty this device?

Will B :

Oh I took all summer long as you had it for years, let me see if I can get you step by steps, I promise the way to do it is not to have go through all that, hang on a bit, I understand now what you are wanting,

Will B :

Something is really confusing here, I am trying to find instructions, all the models have either and external bucket ATTACHED Or a TUBE to a BUCKET, non have the bucket inside, but let me keep looking

Will B :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz3TC3Dg2E&feature=related

Will B :

You do have the air vented? If you can see where the water comes from when you dump it, as a stop gap instead of this horrendous process of dumping, is there enough room to get an aquarium type siphon pump, with the in line squeeze pump for a few dollars and simply siphon the water, but until I can find your owner's manual, there is no way to tell how to get the tank out, but it appears it is getting full very quick, which makes me think the air venting is incorrect, and too much condensation is building up, dumping a tank every four hours is like a dehumidifier, but even a dehumidifier would not need to be dumped that often, so something else is going on here and that is as important if not more than how to dump it, many report on general portables the tank hardly gets water in it, by design, so I am wondering if the air venting is the problem putting too much in the tank too often, that is too much every four hours, you couldn't leave your home, so we have to deal with that, so far I have crossed the Hisense model with a Danby, I believe yours to be made by Danby, remodeled number is XXXXX and no direct cross, so I have to find your model, find your manual and find out what the normal tank fill is, yours is absolutely excessive, while I cannot find directions to remove the tank, and obviously it is not apparent, my feelings are the tank seldom if ever needs emptied, so look in to that, while I look for a owner's manual that tells me about your specific model,

JACUSTOMER-x5gw5e5k- :

Did you find what you were looking for? Not me.I never accepted this answer, but 17$ was taken off my credit card!!!

Will :

HI,, First I don't take money or price or do any of that, I get a couple dollars, although I own two successful businesses, and have thirty years plus in various trades, all centered around electrical mechanical, I am just a "rookie" on this site. So I am not sure why they would take your money but I will go to the support people, they are very understanding, and I understand they have to test me,so I am OK with a couple bucks until I earn their confidence. In the meantime you are still dumping water out of a machine down steps which sounds dangerous and I know it is not right, I read about this unit or units of the same engineering, and for a bucket to be full every four hours is just wrong, in other words the problem of dumping it should not exist because that much water should not collect in four hours, I see the unit, I know has an a container inside for condensation, but most report their bottles gather a cup of water, and it evaporates, a cup is the MOST they have ever had in the bottle. While it would be handy to know how to empty the bottle, is it critical we figure out how to, or why so much water gathers, a dehumidifier would be a great if not superior unit to gather all this water from the ambient surroundings. But you have an air conditioner, intended to vent most of the water out the window, or out somewhere. If you have it vented, you can put your hand in front of the vent and when you pull it back it should be moist, the idea is to remove moisture which is simply relative humidity ALONG WITH THE EXHAUSTED HOT AIR. I think I mentioned the moisture you might see under your vehicle on a hot day when the AC is on. With no simple or logical door, button, latch, etc, to empty the container, plus everything I have read, all the videos I have watched, the container removal is secondary to another issue, unless you live in some sub tropical location with 99% humidity, it is too much condensation in the bottle, understand where I am going? Now as a stop gap you can somehow poor this water out, because there are no obvious openings, or doors or inspection covers, this water you are pouring down the steps, for gravity to help you, has to come from some kind of opening, because NOTHING explains why you have so much water, is there a way to slide like an aquarium hose from an inline hand pump, into the opening and siphon the water into a bucket? I hate the idea of tipping this thing over steps, the unit has weight, water is very heavy, and it just sounds dangerous, but as to now I was hoping some sort of stop gap could be used until we figure out why you have this unusual problem, you are venting the unit? You have checked that air is coming out your vent tube like a dryer vent? It has to go somewhere, at 5K BTU that is a pretty powerful unit, and the water should change in amounts, in other words every four hours might fill it on a 98 degree day with 78 % humidity, but unless the temperature and humidity [and your settings on the unit

Will :

are set at say 78 degrees, and ran all day or the same exact amount of time, could it fill every four hours, it should fill in four hours on [just an example] those 98 degree days, but if the temp went down to 89 it should take 6 hours, or some figure less than four hours,

Will :

This question keeps shutting down, have no idea, I will look into that issue also, anyway, your amount of water and time it collects should vary with the ambient temperature and humidity, I see no door on this unit, you see no drain, or lever, we will make sure we come with an answer and or I will do something to get your money back, again I cannot accept or charge or collect or do anything, and again my portion is a few dollars, the rest goes to justanswer, which I also understand, they have servers and massive amounts of data to compile so their costs have to be significant, but I will do my best, [I would say I would period but as I have zero power, I can't say that] to make sure you have a fair transaction, more importantly resolve this mystery, I have been researching this but I run into the same thing, everyone who sells portables tells me it is not a dehumidifier, the water should not collect there in such quantities, let me see if I can get through to an engineer, this time, customer support is no help, I need an engineer, but unless I lie and say I am an owner, it is real hard to get there, but let me try that, again, and don't be concerned about your fees, I find just answer to be very fair and reasonable,

Will :

By the way, hisense does not manufacture this unit, Danby corporation makes the unit, HISENSE is a re-lable reseller of all kinds of home items from ac units to computers to name it, they make nothing, so it is even more difficult to try and figure this out, the model is Hisense property, they don't advertise Danby, so one of those deals,

Will :

For portable air conditioners, maintenance can be summed up best in four easy parts.

-Venting: You must vented the condensed hot air out of the room via a venting kit.

-Draining: Portable air conditioners remove water from the air. Some of the water is used to cool the air conditioner which increases the cooling efficiency. The rest of the water has to be released from the machine somehow. Sometimes it is collected in a bucket that needs to be emptied. Sometimes the air conditioner has self-evaporating technology so that most of the water is released with the condensed hot air by the venting kit. You may still have to empty a small container with these units. Continuous draining is available on some machines and some have condensate pumps that deliver the water outside or ro a drain pump located indoors.

-Cleaning: Every few weeks or so, the exterior of your portable air conditioner should be cleaned. You can use a soft, damp cloth to clean it while the unit is turned off. Be sure not no use abrasive chemicals or detergents.

Storing: At the end of the cooling season, you may need to store your unit. This promotes the efficiency and prolongs the life of your portable air conditioner. Turn your unit off, unplug it and drain all of the water out. Then plug it back in and turn on the fan mode. Let it dry out for a few hours. Make sure the filter is clean, wrap up the cord and pack the unit in the original packaging if at all possible. Store in a dry location.

Will :

General information including storage tips, found it thought it was well written and sent it. If it helps great. But still trying to get specific Danby info and engineer

Will :

http://www.danby.ca/products/air_conditioners

Will :

down to near bottom do any of the 5000 units look like yours?

Will :

drain plug on rear bottom? See one?

Will :

drawer on right lower side facing front of unit?

Will :

on SOME models there is a dehumidify operation setting, check your settings to make sure it is not in dehumidifier mode, apparently easily mistaken

Will :

any other model I am finding models with KF and serial numbers with AP

Will :

any other model number on unit? AP seems to be serial through Danby

Will
Will
Will, Specialty Repair Shop Owner