Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Our Jotul Combi Fire (over 30 years old) has a problem, the

Customer Question

Our Jotul Combi Fire (over 30 years old) has a problem, the door hinge roller set up has broken, the door will now remain open, but not under the stove nor can we close it properly to be a wood stove. The hinge pin holding the springs is broken. Any idea on how to fix it? WE LOVE THE STOVE and it is our only source of heat in the cold Idaho winters.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Phil :

Hi,This is risky business in the blind, not responsible for damages on your end. Click 'accept' when satisfied.. or we can get another expert.

Phil :

Take the door off and to a welding shop if the problem will be clear to the people there and see if they can make you a new and solid hinge set up that will function.

JACUSTOMER-32lk6yk5- :

Do you think that jotul will have a hinge pin available? I am not sure welding a new hinge would work and the pin held 2 rollers that slide on rails under the stove and keep the door level

Phil :

Make sure that their fix is obvious to you and the welder.. ask the welder to come look at the entire set up... get back to me with what the weld shop says. we can go from there... I will ask you to tell me about it, and make some judgement on it...to be entirely safe the fix needs to be looked over by a local licensed and insured HVAC contractor.

Phil :

Have you tried Jotul for parts on that yet? at 30 years, and for that kind of issue it is unlikely they would have the parts...but let me know what you have done in the line of checking. Phil

JACUSTOMER-32lk6yk5- :

We just talked about a solid hinge, but I am going to try Jotul.

Phil :

Good idea, then get back to me with what they say. we can go from there, Phil