HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I’m trying to troubleshoot a honeywell L8148e aquastat. when

Customer Question
Im trying to troubleshoot a...
Im trying to troubleshoot a honeywell L8148e aquastat. when I turn my boiler on The relay on the aquastat will not pull in. If I force it closed it will Turn my Zones on and open my damper?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: HVAC
9/20/2010
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Chat Conversation Started
Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer,

Rickheatdoc :

Have you tried jumping TT

Customer :

I dont see TT

Customer :

I have TV and T

Rickheatdoc :

The terminals where the thermostat connects

Customer :

yes

Rickheatdoc :

If jumping the thermostat terminals doesn't pull the relay in but you can get the boiler to work by manually puling in the contactor then you probably need to replace the L8148

Customer :

What can I check to see if its bad

Customer :

I would hate to waste 180 bucks

Rickheatdoc :

Doing what I just described is the field test for determining if the control works.

Customer :

is there not a way to check the transformer or the relay itself?

Customer :

when you say TT is there a actual terminal named that?

Rickheatdoc :

Neither of these components are serviceable. If the control doesn't function properly we replace the entire control. If you modify the control in any way you are assuming liability for any future (potentially serious) failure.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

Is there supposed to be a terminal named TT

Rickheatdoc :

It depends on which version of the control you have. Some only have TT others have 3 thermostat terminals. If the control has functioned properly until now with the thermostat connected as it is then how they name the stat terminals doesn't matter

Rickheatdoc :

When I say TT I mean 2 T terminals

Customer :

thers is a terminal named TV and T and W and Z

Customer :

Z and W look like they have a brass jumper between them

Rickheatdoc :

If it has worked properly for a period of time then the terminal designation is not relevant. If you want info on what these terminals are for I need the 4 numbers that come after the E in L8148E

Customer :

1257

Customer :

when you say jump the terminals, I was just wondering what ones

Rickheatdoc :

The terminals the thermostat wires are connected to

Customer :

there was three wires connected red, blue and whitw

Rickheatdoc :

The number you gave me is an OEM number and I can't access the schematic. I am not familiar with a 3 wire stat config and with out a schematic I am in the dark. I'll opt out maybe one of my colleagues is familiar with this

Customer :

thanks

HVAC Technician: Rick Mather, HVAC Technician replied 7 years ago
Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician

See fig 6 on link below for internal wiring of this control, also check electronic board for any burnt portion of circuit board have seen this in past

http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/PackedLit/60-0786.pdf

no burnt spots on board

Does relay energize at all

it does nothing mechanically, is there a way I can check it?

If you jumper tv and t terminals it should start

Is there voltage on tv and z terminals should be 24vac

Edited by Rick Mather on 9/20/2010 at 6:09 PM EST
no, it doesnt
between them there is only like 1.5 volts. should it be 24?
Yes should be 24vac from transformer and yours is dead, you do have 120vac coming in

Edited by Rick Mather on 9/20/2010 at 6:13 PM EST
I have 24 volts when I go across the secondary leads on the transformer.(T2 and T1)
My diagram does not have t1 t2 but you have 24vac
it would be the 2 black wires coming out of the transformer. There is 120 volts across the white and black going into the transformer. there are 4 wires total into the transformer.
is there voltage between TV and T
yes 25v
Then your relay contacts have to be bad since the coil 1k is the only current using device on that circuit

can the relay be replaced?

Only if you can find one and then solder it in
http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-L8124E1016-High-Limit-Triple-Vertical-Mount-Aquastat-Relay-High-10F-Diff-Low-10-25F-Adj-Differential-1709000-p
Rick Mather
Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician