HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I installed fresh batteries in my Rodgers thermostat

Customer Question
I installed fresh batteries in...
I installed fresh batteries in my White Rodgers thermostat (153-7758), but all information disappeared and my display does not show anything. What am I doing wrong?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: HVAC
8/31/2010
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Chat Conversation Started
Phil :

Hi,This is risky business in the blind, not responsible for damages on your end. Click 'accept' when satisfied.. or we can get another expert.

Phil :

You may have inadertently gotten the batteries in backwards.. look that over and get back to me. Phil

Customer:

No, they are installed correctly. I double checked that.

Phil :

How was the stat working before you changed the batteries?

Phil :

these are electronic devices, and as with many of the variety are known to fail on occasion... or the battery contacts may simply be corroded, and you can scrape them clean... I have also seen bad batteries right out the box.. thats possible too.

Customer:

Batteries are fresh, I did scrape some corrosion off one end of the contact, the other was clean. Tried different batteries but also did not work.

Phil :

In that case the stat is not responding.. it would be defective. New ones are cheap, often under $30.. but you have to know how to buy them if you are going to replace it yourself. Let me know on that.

Customer:

Okay, what brand would you suggest? I would not install it myself since I have no idea how to do that. I would have to have someone else do it. Do you suggest an electrician installing one?

Phil :

Note: electronics often fail intermittently, it may revive itself, then work a while and then eventually fail. I cant be sure of those aspects... generally when an oldeer piece of an inexpensive electronics device fails its best to simply replace

Customer:

It is older, I'm guessing more than 12 years... do you have a brand you would suggest? Should an electrician install it?

Phil :

call an air conditioning contract to replace the stat.. tell them you want an inexensive white rodgers replacement not one of the vastly expensive ones... they usually carry these on their truck.. total labor should not be more than 1 hour.

Phil :

AC contractOR I meant

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

Sorry, I was not satisfied with the answer. I feel it was more productive for me to look an answer up online, which was free. I did everything he suggested beforehand.