HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Rodgers 1F90-51 programmable thermostat. Came home…

Customer Question
I have a White Rodgers...
I have a White Rodgers 1F90-51 programmable thermostat. Came home tonight to a very hot house and a display that showed "BATTERY" solidly (not flashing). Went out and bought a brand new pack of AA batteries, replaced all 3, and the display still shows "BATTERY" and can't get it to work. Plese help!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: HVAC
8/6/2010
HVAC Technician: Douglas, HVAC Technician replied 7 years ago
Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Douglas :

The word battery is telling you that the thermostat is being powered by the battery and that it is not receiving voltage from tehe air handler. Check the power to the air handler, also check for any type of float switch in the drain train, and if those are all ok, check for a blown low voltage fuse in the air handler.

Customer:

How do you check the power to the "air handler"? Is that on the wall thermostat or on the air conditioning unit itself, or somewhere else?

Douglas :

Check the breaker panel and then there may be additional breakers at the air handler but startt with the breaker box (or fuse box) for the house

Customer:

Oh, boy, I'm sorry, I think this is a bigger problem than just batteries in the thermostat. Thank you for your time and assistance, but I am acting as a go-between for my husband, and I think this might be better left to a professional.

Customer:

Not that you're not a professional, I just think we'd better call someone to come over and look at things. But thank you, ***** ***** a nice service!

Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician