HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Carrier Furnace Motor Blower Is Making High Pitched Noise.

Customer Question
My furnace blower motor has...

My furnace blower motor has developed a high pitch noise not quite a squeal but noticeable. I took the blower apart and the motor did not have any oil ports. So I used some 20W oil and placed a few drops where the shaft goes into the motor, on both sides. I put everything together and the noise is still there. The motor is Carrier part number HC45AE116A. GE #5KCP39PGN959BS.

Any ideas of what is going bad? And, how I can fix it without getting a new motor?

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
7/11/2010
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

gotoman for ac :

Mark. It is the blower wheel. This noise happens when blower wheel get a little loose from hub. Go to www.americanhvacparts.com Type model number and Carrier blower wheel top corner. Picture of blower wheels will come up.

Customer:

I can get to the blower wheels. And the noise seems to be coming from the right side. You are saying that the cage (say 11" diameter- the outside of the blower wheel) is getting loose from the wheel (10" in diameter) that is down the middle of the cage. Or, the wheel is coming loose from the hub (1.5" diameter) that slides onto the shaft having a set screw. Something else? The setscrew is tight.

gotoman for ac :

No the blower is coming loose where large area of inner wheel attaches to outer blades in middle. These are only a press fit and this happens quite often.

Customer:

Can I simply re-crimp the connections? Maybe use some glue like polyurethane is pretty tough stuff. Do you have another suggestion? The blower wheels are $100+ and I am pretty handy. I already pulled the whole thing apart and back together, and it still works!

gotoman for ac :

You can try it but it usually unbalances the wheel. Try it and if it does not work go to www.furnaceparts.com. They have the cheapest parts.

Customer:

Unbalancing the wheel means I may ruin the motor bearings right? Since there is no lube ports on the motor, does that mean it is a sealed ball bearing type bearing? I'll see what I can do to the crimped joints and update you on my success.

gotoman for ac :

Those usually leave bearings.

Customer:

It’s been a while but I finally got around to having to do something about this. The problem ended up being the motor. Apparently one of the sleeve bearings wore to the point where the stator started to rub the windings of the motor. The noise I heard was the beginnings of the two parts rubbing and eventually wearing through the windings. The windings shorted out to ground and the motor died. I replaced the motor and everything is now working.

Customer:

I also notice on the old motor that there was a small plug on the circumference of the end plate on the motor. My guess is the oil port of the motor's sleeve bearings. The new motor, the OEM replacement supplied by carrier, does not have the plugs. Is this typical?