HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a question about my air conditioner. We have a 2 story…

Customer Question
I have a question about...
I have a question about my air conditioner. We have a 2 story house and the upstairs got very hot today. The unit is running and it blows air. The thermostat is set on 78 and shows 92. What could be wrong ??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/30/2010
HVAC Technician: freon, Licensed A/C Contractor replied 8 years ago
freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor

Good evening,

thank you for contacting Just Answers!

First you should check the breaker for the outdoor unit. It may have tripped while you were away. If you find the double pole breaker in the tripped position (this is neither on nor off but just slightly to the middle from on) then be careful. You will have to snap it off aggressively and then back on keeping your face away from the front of the breaker panel. This is just a safe way to reset breakers.

Next, if you see that the outside unit is running, put your hand over the fan. it should be warm to almost hot. if it feels cool or just like ambient temperature then more than likely the compressor motor is not running and can be either overheated. This can happen if your condenser is dirty, the capacitor is out, or if the condenser fan is going out. If the condenser fan is going out...it could also be due to the fan capacitor. More than likely you would only need to replace the capacitor. If you feel bolden, you may open the control box of the unit and peer inside. be careful to pull the disconnect first or turn off the breaker. When looking in side see if you notice any burnt wires or a bloated or puffy capacitor. This capacitor is usually silver metal and round or oval. Most times it is a dual capacitor that services the compressor and fan in the same unit. You can tell because it will have three separate terminal posts with multiple terminals on each post.

Some times the yard man gets too close with the weed eater and cuts the low voltage wiring at the unit. Just twist the wires back together and tape em up... now splice them back color to color.

Try doing the work above to see if you can save your self some $$$. However if you dont feel comfortable dont worry. A good technician will do it for you and teach you if you want to watch.

freon

Dear JACustomer,

I hope you found my information helpful! Please if you are finished asking questions will you please click on the ACCEPT link? If you are unhappy with my answers then by all means dont accept and click on refund. We appreciate you very much and hope the best for you!

freon

I had to call somebody to fix my unit. Thank you anyway