HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

i have a trane xe 1100 central air cond system. when you turn…

i have a trane xe...
i have a trane xe 1100 central air cond system. when you turn on the ac, only the fan comes on. the compressor and condensor fan do not come on. when I push the button in on the relay at the compressor unit they both come on. I also have replaced the thermostat. Is this an issue with the lvtb.
6/29/2010
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

this could be a item stopping the signal to the outdoor switch....

wire off
water switch tripped from slow drain inside
backed up condensate pump

In the outdoor unit....
low pressure switch from lack of freon
high pressure switch from over heating
switch that gets 24v is bad

Customer:

Is this something I should have a technician come out to the house and look at since I dont have the right equipment for checking pressures.

Billy :

That is the problem with checking air conditioners. In the event it is a pressure issue, the homeowner cannot do anything about it due to special tools and regulations. You can check some of the basics.....but for a full check I would have a tech pay a visit and check everything.

Customer:

can you give me a list of the basics to check before I call for a tech.

Billy :

wire off
backed up condensate pump

freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor

Do you have another question?

freon

billy are those 3 things fairly easy to test. and how do you test them.

wire off...... check for disconnected 24 volt wires at unit outside. Also in the control box
water switch tripped from slow drain inside....a lot of units have float switches check yours.
backed up condensate pump.... if you have a condensate pump check to see if clogged.

In the outdoor unit....
low pressure switch from lack of freon... Look inside your unit. if you have a low pressure switch, it is a small cylinder looking gizmo with two wires comming out of it. If you have a loss of pressure this may be keeping the unit off.
high pressure switch from over heating... look and see if you have a hi pressure switch, this is the same look as the low but it may also have a red push button switch in it. now press really hard to reset.
switch that gets 24v is bad... the contacter may be bad. check and see if you have 24 volts at the contacter, follow the low voltage wires into the control box and end up at the contacter. if you put a volt meter on the two terminals and you see 24 volts and the contacter is not pulled in then it may be bad.

I hope this helps you figure out what is going on!

freon

hi freon I checked for 24 volts at the 2 wires at the contacter and it is 0 volts. And if I push the contacter in by hand compressor and fan come on

great!

you are not getting the 24 volts to the contacter. You must trace the low voltage wiring back and see if their is a break in the line or if there is a low voltage control that is stopping it. Like the pressure switches or possibly a time delay relay. Check the LV wires that come into the unit and look for the wire nuts. Remove the wire nuts and check for the voltage here... if it is not there then follow the wiring inside looking for breaks. if you dont find any stop hear and we will check the thermostat.

freon

freon where does the 24 volts come from to activate the compressor so i know where to trace the wires back to.

it ties together at the furnace control board on the y terminal screw. the other wire here on this screw goes to the y in the thermostat.

freon

freon , so there should be 24 volts at the Y termial at the furnace control board and if so when should there be 24 volts. And where do I put the volt meter leads to test Y terminal.

you will find that when you put the tstat in cooling mode and lower the setting that there should be 24 volts between Y and C or Y and C/B . check this.

freon

freon do I check this at the furnace control board or at t-stat

the furnace control board.

freon I checked the voltage at terminal Y and C and there is no voltage reading. Is the control board bad.

no. the problem is likely at your thermostat. Pull the tstat top half off the wall to get to the wire terminals... take the red one loose and touch it to the wire on the Y terminal... usually this is also a yellow wire. have a friend go out side and listen for any noise or the unit comming on. if it does come on then this will show that all the wiring and unit are ok but the thermostat is not working.

freon.

also some tstats require that you program the type of system that it is so that you would tell it that it is a 1 stage heat and cool system... also look for a jumper wire from RH to RC and make sure it is there at the wire terminals.

freon

freon I tried touching the red wire to the Y terminal and nothing happened. what else could it be?

ok ... look closely to the terminals, what color wire did you put under the y terminal?

also look closely to that wire and make sure it did not break.

if you did put the wires back on properly after installing the new tsat then there must be a break in the cooling wire (which is usually yellow from the tstat). To test this all you need to do is go back to the furnace and jump from the R terminal to the Y terminal with all wires still on and have someone stand next to the outdoor unit to see if it comes on.

by the way do you have a float switch on your evaporator coil or in a drain pump?

what does the float switch look like.
a float switch is a small mechanism that is clamped to the side of the drain pan or is inside a pvc fitting in the drain line it has two wires to it.

Dear JA Customer,

Please realize that i have stayed with you all day waiting to hear from you but only getting responses once in a while. I want to help you but i cant with out knowing where you are in the process. Please write back or if you have decided to do something else or have found the problem then close out this session by clicking on the ACCEPT link. Doing this pays me for my time and advice, which is only part of the deposit. Thank you for contacting Just Answers we appreciate you. If you feel i have gone above and beyond, please consider a bonus!

freon

freon sorry for taking so long to respond, when you would give me a test to run I would have to run to my house each time to do the test and then drive back to work to get back on the computer to respond. but I finally found the problem with your help. It was the wire on terminal Y that had a break in it. thank you for your help and patience with me sometimes these things may take all day to figure outsince I am a rookie at this. I of course will accept your answer thanks again.

Great! Success! Thank you for reporting back to me! I am very happy for you!

Please consider a small bonus if you can afford one. it helps balance out the ones that dont pay at all! We are very appreciative of you! If you have any other questions please ask! And come back soon!

freon

freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor
freon where do I add the bonus will it tell me when I click the accept answer button.
yes! just browse around the boxes to find it. Thank you so much.