HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I had my air conditioning unit checked in May by a company…

I had my air conditioning...
I had my air conditioning unit checked in May by a company that I have been with for 9 years. Last year when it was checked, I was told I had an evaporative coil leak but I was not prepared to do anything about it. This past May, I was told the leak was worse and was advised to get the leak fixed or buy a new air condiitoning unit. I had a five year warranty on the current unit, which I bought from them in 2003 so basically I'm out of luck in having them take care of it under the warranty. However, my question is: I had quite a bit of refrigerant put in in 2007 because the tech said it was low on it; I was told by another company that it shouldn't have needed refrigerant and that the leak may have started at that time. What is your take on this?
6/29/2010
Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
These units have aluminum coils and they are known to leak because of the difference in metals used and the electrolyze that happens. You should have force the issue back in 2007 for remedy of problem
freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor

Rick and JACustomer,

Please allow me to step in and assist. Find out if the installing company was and is a "Customer Care" Dealer. If they are they can do what is called a concession for you on behalf of American Standard. American Standard wants your return business and referrals and wants you satisfied. They can do the concession and the coil would be replaced "if it really is a leaker" and the servicing company absorb the labor. It is just a slide in slide out job and shouldn't take more than 2 hours.

If the servicing company does not do it you can report to American Standard or call another CC dealer.

freon

freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor

Dear JACustomer,

I am sorry if you were not satisfied with my answer. You may ask for a refund and not feel bad at all. I how ever do feel bad for you because of your coil situation. I gave you what i feel like is good advice. I know that your coil is approximately 1.5 to two years out of warranty but if your AS Dealer is a customer care dealer he can do the concession based on the facts as you explained them above, his decision on weather it was a bad deal for you and keeping you as a satisfied AS customer so that the next time you need new equipment you would feel good about buying AS again. It is a shame that any coil only last 6 or 7 years! And it is not fair for you. AS did make improvements and currently has a 10 year warranty on its A coils. I know this doesn't help you now.. I hope you can get a concessions deal with your dealer. This is the only answer i can come up with to help you in this case. Remember you can get a refund if you like. The best to you and yours!

freon