HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a gibson heat pump, and i powered off the switch outside,

Customer Question
and i am sure i...
I have a gibson heat pump, and i powered off the switch outside, and i am sure i then powered it back on, it's the on/off switch that has a metal bar going across it, with on and off written on the top/bottom. however, even though i do have it set to on now, the fan has not come back on....what do i need to do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/29/2010
HVAC Technician: Mr. Jeff Pearson, Mechanical Engineering Technologist replied 8 years ago
Mr. Jeff Pearson
Mr. Jeff Pearson, Mechanical Engineering Technologist

What fan do you refer to, the outdoor fan? If so, does the compressor come on outside?

Make sure the "on" is in the right position on your disconnect switch. Also, check the breaker box to make sure the breaker is not tripped.

Does the indoor fan come on when you turn ac on at thermostat?

Thank you

Jeff Pearson

New issue is this: my condensation pump attached to my unit, is rapidly overflowing...it has a drain pipe connected to it. I have used a wet vac to suck the water out of the condensation pump, and have returned to the pump within 30 mins, and it is filled with water....I repeat this step, come back, and again, the pump is filled with water. This tells me there must be a clog within the drain pipe connected to the pump, which is designed to then carry the excess water outside, but it's not doing that, and my carpet is now wet....what should I do about this? I figured out the previous issue with the outdoor heat pump, I had the on/off switch upside down...thank you!

Yes, I believe that was one of my solutions.

Regarding your next question, is the pump plugged in? Is it trying to pump the water out?

I think you should get a 5 gal bucket and let it drain into it while you sort this out.

That's not helpful....why is the condensate pump overflowing? Does the drainage pipe need to be cleaned which is attached to the condensate pump? What do I need to do, to actually resolve this situation? Do you know how to resolve this, or just offering blind suggestions?

There are only a few things that can be wrong with it. And I am operating blind, that is why it is important for you to answer questions I ask. Is it plugged in? Is it trying to pump?

Listen guy, no need to be sarcastic, you may be operating blind, but I am also a paying customer who is operating blindly, talking to an expert who I've never seen, or spoken to before. So, let's both trust each other here. Yes, the pump is plugged in, absolutely. Yes, it is trying to pump, it's making noises....it's just filling up with water rapidly every time I suck the water out of it with my wet vac, it fills up again 30 mins later. There is a white pipe, about 3/4 inch thick, attached to the pump...do you surmise that the pipe may be clogged, hence the backlogged water winding up overflowing in my pump, and also on my carpeted floor??? Thanks.

There could be one of two things wrong. Either the drain line is clogged or the pump is not capable of pumping the condensate the required height anymore.

If you remove the drain line and try blowing through it to see if it is clogged that will tell you which one is the problem.

Do you know where the drain line terminates? If it easy to get to, I would check that location for any blockages.

Over time , the pumps begin to lose pumping strength and eventually need to be replaced.

Yes, I know where the drain line terminates...I can also remove the drain...I will check the drain to see if there seems to be excess debri within it....if there is not, then you're saying, it's likely an issue with the condensate pump itself, correct? Also, at this juncture, if you're me, do you, or do you not, hire a technician to come out to your house?

I would not pay for a tech. The service call will cost more than the price of a new pump.

If you know where the drain terminates. You can get a water hose or other source of water and pour it into the line. If it comes out the other end the line is not blocked.

Be sure to place a pan to catch the water at the lower end.

You may want to try placing your shop vac onto the end of the line and draw through any debris.

Once you confirm that the line is clear, and if the pump still does not remove the moisture properly, replace the pump. The pump should cost $75 . and is easy to replace.

thank you

Jeff Pearson