HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

have a carrier rooftop model 48TJE006-601GA, getting fault…

Customer Question
have a carrier rooftop model...
have a carrier rooftop model 48TJE006-601GA, getting fault code of 7 (rollout fault), this is happening without the rollout connected. Upon power up of unit indoor fan comes on and combustion motor runs also, all the time. Thought might be bleeding off power on a coil, replaced compressor contactor and heat relay, tried different board but same thing happens. Economizer is not being used. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/29/2010
HVAC Technician: Douglas, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.

I understand the roll out is disconnected.... was it left as an open circuit? (is it bypassed)?
Installed new rollout not taking care of problem.
do you have a volt meter?
yes
ok, let me pull a schematic... on moment.
So the circuit with the roll out... should be marked on the board as RS terminals. I believe there are blue wires connected there.... can you verify that?
While I am waiting... lets assume thats what you have. Set your meter to Volts AC and measure from one blue terminal to the other terminal (the ones marked RS) with the wires attached and the power on. Do you read 24v or 0v ?

If you read 24v the circuit is open and it may or may not be the switch. It could be a broken wire or bad terminal at the switch. If you read 0 volts then it is likely the board is bad because of a broken solder terminal or trace on the back of the board.
we have replaced the board and get the same code, the tech was reading 24 to ground, 0 v across.
interesting.... 0 across is closed...

Now Carrier says that's an auto reset rollout but the board will continue to show the fault. They suggest checking the gas valve to validate you dont have a problem with the gas valve grounding or something. If you have a small relay, you can move the wires from the gas valve to the relay coil and cycle the power to reset the fault to see if it faults.