HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I turned the A/C off this morning. When I came home it wouldnt…

Customer Question
I turned the A/C off...
I turned the A/C off this morning. When I came home it wouldn't come back on. I've checked the breakers, checked the switch in the attic, checked the switch outside by the compressor. Everything is on. I'm thinking it might be the thermostat. I have a White-Rodgers 1F56-444 thermostat. The wires look intact when I removed the cover.
Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/29/2010
HVAC Technician: Doug Scott, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
Doug Scott
Doug Scott, HVAC Technician

Does anything work at all, the furnace blower fan, heat etc.?

Nothing. No air, no heat, no fan, nothing.
Let's try one thing at a time. First remove the thermostat from the sub base to expose the wires and terminals. Then take a jumper (paper clip will do) and jumper from terminal 'R' (should be red wire hooked to it) to 'G' (green wire) and see if the indoor blower comes on. Don't worry, it is all low voltage and will not shock you. Let me know.
The cover is off. The wires don't have a 'R' or 'G' terminal. They also aren't red or green. I see wires that are blue, yellow, beige, and white. Nevertheless, I took a paper clip and tried to connect each possible combination. Nothing happened.
It's late. I'm going to open the windows, turn on the ceiling, and hope for the best.
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 8 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! Let's start with some basics. Have you checked all the breakers? Does the furnace fan come on? If not a couple of basic things to check would be the furnace blower door. Is it on tight. If this is OK, try looking inside the blower door and see if the furnace has a circuit board. Some boards have a small fuse on the circuit board. It looks like an automotive fuse and is usually purple or blue in color.
Let's start with some basics: Have you checked all the breakers? Does the furnace fan come on? If not, a couple things to check would be the furnace blower door. Is it on tight? There is a small switch on the blower door that must be made. If this checks out, try looking inside the blower door and see if your furnace has a circuit board. Some boards have a small fuse on the circuit board. It looks like an automotive fuse (usually 3 amps). It may be purple or blue in color.