HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am in process of working with one of your dealers to purchase…

I am in process of...
I am in process of working with one of your dealers to purchase the following systems for my residence. I want a quiet, quality, efficient system that produces clean air and stable temperatures.

Zone 1(ground floor)

Furnace G71MPP 36B-070 70K BTU fully variable iComfort capable

Question: Will this be adequate when we finish the basement or will we need the G71MPP 36C-090 90KBTU model the current furance installed by the builder is a 60K BTU furnace?
Air Conditioner XC-17 3 ton single stage iComfort capable

Air Cleaner/Filter Pure Air Air Purification System

Comment: This is the unit I would prefer over the standard 5" media filter.
Question: What is the annual cost of the UV light and filter replacement?

Humidifier HCW3-18 powered humidifier

Question: I am looking for the quietest powered humidifier so is this the one you recommend? If you have one that is quieter I would be interested.

Thermostat iComfort Touch

Zone 2(Second floor)

Furnace SL 280V two stage burner with variable speed blower

Comment: It appears that the SL280V is the replacement for the G60V and is not iComfort capable.
Question: Is this the best option for an attic installation as we cannot use a high efficiency model due to the condensate freeze potential?

Thermostat iComfort Touch

Question: Will the iComfort Touch thermostat work with the SL280V, I understand it will not provide the same level of information as it is not iComfort enabled.

Thanks
6/29/2010
Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
The size of furnace and or AC unit is driven by a heat load and heat gain calc. which should be done by the installing contractor. UV light is great for killing bacteria and is like running a normal light bulb all the time, replacement bulbs are pricey and should be done once a year. The attic unit will have to be hydro air coil filled with glycol solution or a non condensing furnace and if you choose hydro the rest of house could be done that way also which opens you up for indirect water heater also so you won't ever run out of hot water
<p>Thanks for the response, I am using gas forced hot air for the heating systems so i am not sure what you mean when you reference hydro? are you referring to hydroponic if so that i do not believe it applicable to a gas forced hot air system.</p><p> </p><p>Also, do you have a response to the following question posed earlier regarding the powered humidifier? the Aprilair unit I currently have is very noisy when the fan kicks in. I am purchasing the quietest furnace available and I do not want to have a noisy humidifier.</p><p> </p><p>Is there a better model from Lennox for an attic install than the SL280V for gas forced hot air?</p>
Hydro coils would be a water coil heated by boiler which is more costly up front but opens more options with the way you can heat domestic water also
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I would like someone else to answer the questions i asked as i am going to make a decsion tomorrow and would like this inofrmation so I can make the best decision possible.
Some body before me reported question under priced I guess they were right
how do i access the others answers as they are not visable?
Wait for other expert but this question has been mark as under priced and that was not me
Thanks and i hope I can get the answers i need.
Good luck
I still have not received an answer to my questions
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to assist you today.

The G71MPP is a full modulating furnace, meaning it will operate at 40% of capacity and will increase in 1% increments. This means the G71MPP-36C-090 will operate as low as 35,000 BTU's. The additional capacity will only be used when demand rises, such as when you finish your basement. I'll also note that the G71MPP-36C-090 is an engineered matchup with the XC17-036.

The typical annual cost of the maintenance kit for the Pure Air is $150-200 (it costs dealers $100 for the kit, which includes MERV 16 filter, UV lights, and carbon filter.)

The HCWP-18 is a very quiet powered humidifier, but the HCWB-18 is even quieter as it's a bypass humidifier (meaning no fan noise).

The SL280V is not iComfort enabled as of yet, so the iComfort control will not hook up to this system. The next best thing would be the ComfortSense 7000 thermostat. With that being said, you can install the G71MPP in an attic application. The concern would be the pipes freezing in extreme conditions, but Lennox offers a Condensate Heat Cable Kit for that very application.

I hope that answers all your questions!

Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician