HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Heat pump blow motor

If you don't know the...
If you don't know the answer, can you pay me back? I saw that you already took money out of my bank account!? NO! NO! It has nothing to do with Dodge. This motor for my redidential AC/heater unit(Heat Pump) I just purchased the Blower motor for my AC unit. I purchased A.O. Smith F48SL6L14, which is equivalent to the original motor, GE 5KCP39JG; however, the original motor has 5 wires but the new motor has 6, not counting the rotation reverse wires. How am I supposed to connect Yellow wire? Am I supposed to splice with the Black wire?
6/29/2010
Doug Scott
Doug Scott, HVAC Technician

Yes you can get your money back as long as you don't click accept on an answer. Then request Just answer to credit your pay pal account.

Now, with that out of the way. Can you give me the colors of the leads on both the old and new motor. I will try to help you the best I can, pay or not.

I understood. I have created the schematic from the labels on both original and new motors. Blue and Red wires for Med and Lo speeds are not in use. I'm confused with this Yellow wire, which is an extra wire compared to the original motor. I thank you for your help.

graphic

Wow, nice diagram. The Brown/White connects in the motor at the same point has the Yellow wire, so that the Brown/white and the Yellow are really the same. You can cut the Brown/Yellow wire and cap it and use the Brown, which is the same as the purple on the original motor, or just hook up the 120 volt connector to the line connector on your new motor and wire the rest as shown.
Doug Scott
Doug Scott, HVAC Technician

I believe thay you meant "Cut Brown/White or Yellow wire and cap it"----not "cut Brown/Yellow wire" as you stated above----am I right. By the way, thank you for your help, I already accepted your answer but please confirm the question above----just to make sure.

Thank you

Sorry, yes you are right. Thank you very much.

Doug

Edited by XXXXX XXXXX on 6/29/2010 at 5:34 PM EST