HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have 2000 sq. ft. single level ranch house in Miami, FL that…

Customer Question
I have 2000 sq. ft...
I have 2000 sq. ft. single level ranch house in Miami, FL that has a Carrier air handling unit #FK4CNF005 located in a clost in the garage. The supply ducts are in the attic, & the only return air is at the room side of the air handler that is in the closet. The half of my house that is closest to the air handler cools better than the half that is farthest away. I have been told that adding ducted return air w/ registers in the ceiling of my 3 bedrooms at the far end of the house will improve performance. I understand how to locate & install the registers & the main return duct w/ the connectins to the registers. How do I connect the return duct to the air handler? Would it be through the side of the unit into the space where the existing return air grill is located?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/28/2010
HVAC Technician: Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician replied 8 years ago
Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Mark Henley :

Hi, yes you can locate it anywhere before the filter and it will pull through the unit,

Customer:

I am not clear on this yet. If i route the new return air duct through the ceiling into the closet w/ the air handler, how do i get before/in front of the filter that is located on the interior (living room) side of the closet that is in the garage? It seems like i would have to enter the air handler on the side of the unit that is 90 degrees "around the corner" from the side that has the exiting register & filter. Also if this is the location to connect the return duct to the unit, do I cut a hole into the face of the plywood platform at the bottom of the unit? Finally, just based on my short description, do you think that adding ducted return air from the far side of my simple rectangular ranch house will improve the cooling on that side? Thanks.

Mark Henley :

Hi, yes it does sound like return air problem, I can't picutre exactly what you are talking about with the connection but the end result has to be that it connects to the return air or the air handle ahead of the filter so that all the air that gets pulled in has to go through the filter, whatever modifications you have to do to accomplish that is going to be what it takes.

Customer:

I understand that the return air has to be filtered to keep the coil clean, but for the new return duct to enter ahead of the filter that is right behind the grill on the face of my living room (just above the base board) wall it seems like the duct would have to pass through the ceiling on the living room side of the air handler closet and then be connected to the front face of the grill. That doesn't seem right.

Mark Henley :

My last reply must not have made it through, basically you have to get it connected to the return duct or the air handler ahead of the filter, I can't picture your existing ducts but essentially all the return air has to go through the filter. This does sound like a return air problem.

Customer:

I don't have any existing return air ducts in my attic, just the return air register on my wall in the living room. Someone has suggested putting a return air register in the hallway ceiling just outside the doors to each of my 3 bedrooms. A return air duct in the attic would then connect to another new register to be located in the ceiling directly above & in front of the existing register in my living room wall. Would return air move through these new registers & duct without the new duct actually being connected to my air handler?

Mark Henley :

Hi, yes it would, return air is low velocity so it will basically draw from everywhere that has a path back to the unit .If after you add this one and you do not feel a difference you can damper down your existing one to get more flow through the new one by blocking part of the exisitng one. Can you picture what I'm trying to say ?

Customer:

How would I block part of the existing register if I felt the need to?

Mark Henley :

You would have to remove the grill and attach a piece of metal to it in the size that you want to block it off with, or any other type of obstruction that you can McGyver, basically you just need to block some air flow through it

Customer:

thanks.

Mark Henley :

You're welcome