HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We just bought a 5 ton Trane SEER 13 heat pump to replace our…

Customer Question
We just bought a 5...
We just bought a 5 ton Trane SEER 13 heat pump to replace our 33 year old 3.5 ton Weathertron that has never given us a moment's trouble and is working perfectly as we speak. We are replacing it simply to be greener and lower operating costs.
The house was originally 1700 square feet but is now 2600 sq. ft. thanks to an addition. I have two concerns: 1) I read online that TRANE has shipped some heat pump units with a crimped 1/2 in. copper tubing in the exterior unit. Does this need to be checked and possibly corrected/replaced before the unit is installed? 2) Our ducting in in the floor, and the installer seemed disconcerted upon realizing this and began making phone calls asking how to proceed. This didn't exactly fill me with confidence.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/27/2010
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Chat Conversation Started
gotoman for ac :

I am a Trane service manager on the gulf coast and have not run into any problems with crimp tubing as of yet. Just a glance at the 1/2 inch discharge line will tell you if it is crimped. Are you getting a variable speed air handler? Russ

Customer:

Does the variable speed air handler influence the way the unit should be installed? I am still uneasy about the fact that the installer (due to install tomorrow(Monday); the unit arrived Friday) was thrown off balance by our peripheral ducting.

gotoman for ac :

The variable speed air handler will work well with that type system if duct is sized correctly. The only thing I would be concerned about would be the size of ductwork. You are sized for a 3.5 ton system. Ductwork is sized for 1400 CFM The 5 ton can develope as much as 2200 CFM. Usually on a variable speed that is cut to about 1800 but the duct work is still questionable. Too small a duct system and you run into a lot of noise. Like restricting a water hose. Russ Old Trane/GE Engineer

Customer:

Russ,

Customer:

Russ,

Customer:

Russ, thanks very much. I hope I can get back to you if I have other questions. I will talk to the installer in the morning. I have lived in Florida and am much concerned about the oil spill. Things are unlikely to return to what they were, but I wish you and everyone in that battered region all the best.

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Following are: 1) my email correspondence with Trane customer service and 2) my letter, which went unanswered, to Trane's president of residential systems. Lately the system's outside temperature readings have been running some 10 degrees higher than the actual temperature and the system has been over-cooling. The dealer/installer says the outside temperature sensor (the thermomenter?) needs replacing. He says Trane advises that this part comes only in a kit that costs $150, which we must pay though the system is still less than a year old.

Please excuse the length of this query. However, I couldn't find a way to get you this material in a better file format.

Advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated. Thanks.

C. Thompson (Customer)
____________
FROM:
Tyler, Customer-Information

TO:
Chandler Thompson

Message flagged
Monday, April 25, 2011 1:45 PM

Thank you for your email. The installing dealer covers the first two years of labor on an Xli system, as you’ve purchased. Attached is the limited manufacturer’s warranty on your system. If the dealer needs clarification on their dealer labor warranty obligation, they can speak with their local Trane Territory Manager or Trane Field Service Rep.

Thank you,

Consumer Relations

Trane and American Standard Heating and Air Conditioning
_____

From: Chandler Thompson [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:33 PM
To: Tyler, Customer-Information
Subject: Re: We bought a Trane

Please be advised that by following phone instructions from a Trane technician, the installer of our heat pump has it running satisfactorily for the time being. However, the repair process was unduly prolonged by delays in the shipping of new parts; getting the system to work took the better part of a month; and it required replacement of three key components: the capacitor, the compressor, and the transformer switch.

Given our experience to date, my wife and I cannot help but be concerned about the system's durability if it remains under the care of its installer, MZ Mechanical. It is now cooling, but will the switch to heating mode go smoothly come fall? The installer speculated that our problems may have been triggered by a power surge caused by a lightning strike. If so, should steps be taken to protect the system from this possibility in the future? MZ's response was vague and unclear.

To be blunt, we have lost confidence in MZ's ability to maintain our Trane heat pump. In July 2010, while attempting to install our system, the owner of this business was puzzled to find that our duct work is in the floor rather than the ceiling. He made several calls to your technicians before throwing up his hands and getting his nineteen-year-old son to finish the job. Unlike the father, the son is patient, soft-spoken, and willing to learn. Although he clearly has the ability to master his trade, he would benefit from an apprenticeship with a seasoned HVAC team to increase his technical expertise and polish his customer relations skills. We certainly wish him well.

It is hard to have a similarly positive view of the the father. Following last year's faulty installation, he made the preposterous assertions that the blower was supposed to run full blast day and night and that Trane systems simply weren't designed to cool below seventy degrees.

To restore our confidence in our purchase, we ask you to confirm that our parts and labor warranty is good for two years as promised last year by Trane rep Tim Conrad rather than just one year as claimed by the proprietor of MZ Mechanical. In the wake of its latest refurbishing, we also ask that that the system be thoroughly re-inspected by an knowledgeable Trane troubleshooter to minimize the likelihood of future problems.

We further request the following: 1) that maintaining and repairing our system be delegated to a service provider other than MZ Mechanical; and 2) that the warranty be counted from the date of the system's current overhaul since its installation in July 2010 was in no way satisfactory.

Thanking you for your help in remedying difficulties heretofore, we look forward to putting our dealings with you on firmer footing hereafter.

C. Thompson
_____

Thank you for your email. Your comments have been forwarded to the Trane regional rep. Please allow the regional rep 3 to 5 business days to respond.

Thank you,

Consumer Relations
____

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:01 AM
To: Tyler, Customer-Information
Subject: We bought a Trane

In June 2010 we bought a Trane heat pump to replace the GE model that had served us reliably since 1977 when we moved into our then new house. I wish I could point to similar performance in the year since we switched to a new Trane unit. However, I cannot.

During the record setting cold snap that struck southern New Mexico in February, the blower ran non-stop unless the system was turned off, yet the system failed to provide any heat, forcing us to use space heaters to keep comfortable. In late March and April when outside temperatures began to rise, it failed to cool. In sum, our new heat pump has not delivered when put to the test.

Three weeks ago, when we called the installer, he came to our house a day earlier than we’d agreed upon at a time when we were out. The following day when we called he told us the capacitor had burnt out and had to be replaced. Two days later he came back with the part and adjusted the thermostat. At that time he had the unit blowing cool air. Two hours later the blower was still running, but the system had ceased to cool. Meanwhile, the indoor temperature was on the rise.

The next time we called, the installer once again came to the house unannounced. He reported checking the outside unit in our absence and determining that the compressor needed to be replaced. It would, he said, take three days to order another one. Due to a shipping delay the new part did not arrive as scheduled, and we must now wait at least another five days for the repair.

At our request, a retired master electrician with more than a quarter century's experience at NASA test sites inspected all the lines feeding electricity to the heat pump and found no problems with the power supply. This caused me to wonder why our installer, upon finding two failed components in very short order, would be content simply to replace them without making any effort whatsoever to troubleshoot the system as a whole.

When he came to remedy post-setup problems last summer, Trane representative Tim Conrad assured us that the parts and labor warranty on our heat pump was for two years; installer MZ Mechanical insists it is valid for just one year, a year that is fast coming to a close.

The past ten months have given us pause. We’re sure you’ll agree it shouldn’t be so easy to stop a Trane. With all due respect, we ask you that your avowed commitment to quality and customer satisfaction be made good by underwriting a systematic third-party inspection of our heat pump. Nothing less can give us the peace of mind of knowing we own a product that is up to the standard we and thousands of others expect from a company of your standing and reputation. Such reassurance should be neither difficult or costly to obtain. Local Trane dealer Sun City Heating and Plumbing installs the units sold at Home Depot, and staff there reports that Sun City provides excellent service.

We went to considerable expense to purchase a top of the line system from a business Trane deems fit to sell and install its home heating and cooling systems. We have no reason to expect or receive less than the level of professional service needed to make that system run according to design.

From: "Tyler, Customer-Information" <[email protected]>
To: Chandler Thompson <[email protected]>
Sent: Mon, April 11, 2011 1:44:21 PM
Subject: RE: Contact Us: Service

Thank you for your reply. We recommend contacting your dealer to advise that the repair did not resolve the issue with the unit. If the dealer is unable to properly diagnose and repair your unit, they may contact their Dealer Support located at the Trane regional office. The technical reps in Dealer Support will assist your dealer with properly diagnosing and repairing your system.

Thank you,

Consumer Relations
_____

Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 10:21 AM
To: Tyler, Customer-Information
Subject: Re: Contact Us: Service

The dealer was at our house Friday. He got the system to blow cool for a short time. After he left it went back to blowing room temperature air only while the fan just kept going.

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Sent: Mon, April 11, 2011 9:05:01 AM
Subject: RE: Contact Us: Service

Thank you for visiting our website. Have you contacted your dealer to inspect the system and advise on the cause?

Thank you,

Consumer Relations

Sent: Mon, April 18, 2011 10:42:33 AM
Subject: RE: We bought a Trane

Thank you,
____

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:01 AM
To: Tyler, Customer-Information
Subject: We bought a Trane

Sent: Mon, April 11, 2011 1:44:21 PM
Subject: RE: Contact Us: Service

Thank you,

Consumer Relations

____

Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 10:21 AM
To: Tyler, Customer-Information
Subject: Re: Contact Us: Service

Sent: Mon, April 11, 2011 9:05:01 AM
Subject: RE: Contact Us: Service

Thank you,

Consumer Relations

Tyler, TX 75707
_____

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2011 5:48 PM
To: Tyler, Customer-Information
Subject: Contact Us: Service

Saturday, April 09, 2011
Unit(s) are less than a year old. Fan is constantly on unless manually turned off. System neither heats nor cools.

Model

Serial

4twx606c1000ab

10064wj31f

4tee3c08a1000ab

9322t6b24

Install Dealer Name:

MZ Mechanical

Install Dealer Phone:

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Service Dealer Name:

MZ Mechanical

Service Dealer Phone:

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Do you have an Extended Warranty? :

Yes

-- End of Message --

_________________________

April 26, 2011

4435 Senna Drive
Las Cruces, New Mexico
88011

David Panier, President
Trane Residential Systems
6200 Troup Highway
Tyler, Texas
75707

Dear Sir:

Enclosed please find a printout of my correspondence with your customer service people. I regret to say that their reply to my latest email is less an effort to allay the misgivings of a customer with legitimate concerns than a brush-off.

To begin, my wife and I have lost confidence in the dealer who sold and installed our system for the reasons stated in our emails. I find it hard to believe that Trane knowingly allows a business such as MZ Mechanical to continue marketing or servicing its products. Surely a customer who, relying upon your good reputation, goes to the expense of acquiring one of your highly rated systems deserves better, and it’s hard to imagine that you would knowingly jeopardize the good name of your company by tolerating such continued bungling. This is why we asked: 1) to have the warranties on parts and labor delegated to a dealer able to stand behind them; and 2) to have those warranties calculated not from the date of installation but from the date of replacement of the presumably burnt out or defective capacitor, compressor and transformer switch.

Your customer service people also ignored our request for a qualified Trane technician to inspect and troubleshoot our system following the recent parts replacements. Failing the peace of mind this would provide, we cannot be certain that everything possible has be done to make sure that our system switches smoothly to heating mode come the fall.

Given MZ’s guesses as to the source(s) of our heat pump woes, we also asked if our heat pump should be surge-protected to shield it from lightning strikes. We were disappointed when your customer service people did not take the trouble to get us a clear answer to this very specific question.

Thank you for your kind attention. We look forward to being satisfied Trane customers once the current difficulties and concerns are behind us.

Sincerely,

Chandler Thompson

Enclosure as noted.
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 7 years ago
C. What problems are you having now. As you now realize it boils down to installation and well that is done.. Russ

Asked by you on Sunday, June 27, 2010 6:40 PM EST

You have accepted an Answer!

Sunday, June 27, 2010 6:45 PM EST

Chat Conversation Started
gotoman for ac :

Customer :

gotoman for ac :

Customer :

Russ,

Customer :

Russ,

Customer :

You replied

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 7:05 PM EST

C. Thompson (Customer)
____________
FROM:
Tyler, Customer-Information

TO:
Chandler Thompson

Message flagged
Monday, April 25, 2011 1:45 PM

Thank you,

Consumer Relations

_____

Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:33 PM
To: Tyler, Customer-Information
Subject: Re: We bought a Trane

C. Thompson
_____

Thank you,

Consumer Relations
____

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:01 AM
To: Tyler, Customer-Information
Subject: We bought a Trane

Sent: Mon, April 11, 2011 1:44:21 PM
Subject: RE: Contact Us: Service

Thank you,

Consumer Relations
_____

Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 10:21 AM
To: Tyler, Customer-Information
Subject: Re: Contact Us: Service

Sent: Mon, April 11, 2011 9:05:01 AM
Subject: RE: Contact Us: Service

Thank you,

Consumer Relations

Sent: Mon, April 18, 2011 10:42:33 AM
Subject: RE: We bought a Trane

Thank you,
____

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:01 AM
To: Tyler, Customer-Information
Subject: We bought a Trane

Sent: Mon, April 11, 2011 1:44:21 PM
Subject: RE: Contact Us: Service

Thank you,

Consumer Relations

____

Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 10:21 AM
To: Tyler, Customer-Information
Subject: Re: Contact Us: Service

Sent: Mon, April 11, 2011 9:05:01 AM
Subject: RE: Contact Us: Service

Thank you,

Consumer Relations

Tyler, TX 75707
_____

Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2011 5:48 PM
To: Tyler, Customer-Information
Subject: Contact Us: Service

Saturday, April 09, 2011

Model

Serial

4twx606c1000ab

10064wj31f

4tee3c08a1000ab

9322t6b24

Install Dealer Name:

MZ Mechanical

Install Dealer Phone:

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Service Dealer Name:

MZ Mechanical

Service Dealer Phone:

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Do you have an Extended Warranty? :

Yes

-- End of Message --

_________________________

April 26, 2011

4435 Senna Drive
Las Cruces, New Mexico
88011

David Panier, President
Trane Residential Systems
6200 Troup Highway
Tyler, Texas
75707

Dear Sir:

Sincerely,

Chandler Thompson

Enclosure as noted.
Looks like you have been thru some ordeal. Any Trane dealer can work on your equipment. Does not have to be the one who installed the equipment. if you think you have been ripped off so to speak contact the state HVAC board. The complaint has to be in writing but you will get results. What ever your com[laint is has to be answered by the Dealer within 20 days. Russ