HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Newly installed Goodman 2 1/2 ton split heat pump. Air handler…

Customer Question
Newly installed Goodman 2 1/2...
Newly installed Goodman 2 1/2 ton split heat pump. Air handler is in attic 20" vertical above outside unit, 47' total line set footage run on a 45 degree slope up the side of the house into the attic. 2.1 ounces of freon added to system to compensate for extra line set footage. high side pressure will no go above 185, low side pressure is 85. outside temp is 95 degrees, return air temp at unit is 80 degrees, supply temp at ceiling registers is 65 degrees Orfice is in correct position as shown on sticker on front of unit with nozzle and teflon ring facing away from air handler. What is my proble?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/27/2010
HVAC Technician: Richard, Technical Manager replied 8 years ago
Richard, Technical Manager
Chat Conversation Started
Richard :

Hello well at first glance it would seem the orifice might be bleeding by ( low high side and hi low side) but take the temperature of the lines at the coil and at the unit. This way we can look at super heat and sub cool. We will probably find that your low on charge with a high load. Also, air flow is critical. Do you know or can you measure the CFM you need 1000 or close for the charging charts to be accurate.

Customer:

cannot measure cfm @ return air grill. return is supplied with a 20x25 filter grill with 12 ' of 16" flex going into a 5' piece of 18X8 rectangle duct on intake of airt handler. suction line temp 60 degrees high side temp 89 degrees both taken @ condensing unit

Richard :

R22?

Richard :

If this is a 22 unit you have 10 degrees of SH and 6 degrees of SC. A few things your going to need to consider. I am assuming this has a PSC motor. 16inch flex will give you 1100 cfm @ a .1 friction rate this is to high for return supply you can design at a .1 but return you need to .05 today in the old days it was a .08. @ a .05 your only going to move about 750 CFM and at a .08 about 800. This is not to far off but it all adds up. You have to keep in mind what we did before 2006 is different that coil has a .3 to .35 drop on it now. The SH, with a 95 outdoor and a 80 indoor I am going to guess here but you probably have around a 73 wet bulb indoor which would put you SH around 25 degrees to be normal. so your low. This really doesn't add up, from this infor you have a low load and under charge. So next step what is the temp of the hot gas line coming off the compressor ? also, verify the temp of the liquid line if it is lower than the outdoor temp you have a restricted condensing coil or non condensables in the coil. Did you use a pump to pump it down?