HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

With the a/c on, we keep getting some leaks. We think that…

Customer Question
With the a/c on, we...
With the a/c on, we keep getting some leaks. We think that there is some sort of ice build up blocking the drainage pipe. Is this some sort of build up, poor design, or part in need of replacement?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
HVAC Technician: Richard, Technical Manager replied 8 years ago
Richard, Technical Manager
Chat Conversation Started
Richard :

Hello are we talking about a central AC unit, window or free standing unit?

Customer:

central ac. Rheem Criterion II. There appears to be some condensation, that drips into a collection pan, but some for reason isn't draining. There appears to be some ice build up. Do the drains get plugged?

Richard :

Hello yes they do, you can try this first. there is a 3/4 inch plastic pipe coming off the coil ( should be 3/4 but might be 1/2) this is the drain line . Often they glue them together so you might have to cut it and get a coupleling from Home Depot or Lowes. Once you cut it try to cut as close to the coil as you can then take a wire or something thin and push it through the drain to free anything up. If it has a trap on it this will plug up first. If you find the drain dirty you will have to melt all the ice on the coil before it will work correctly.