HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I bought a Sears window AC from a neighbor, it was runing and…

I bought a Sears window...
I bought a Sears window AC from a neighbor, it was runing and cooling when we disconnected it. Model 253.70181 230v. I pressed on button, no start. I pressed the reset button at the socket waited 30 sec and tried again, nothing. I have voltage to the mother board. I have an installation manual but no operators manual. I have only the schematic and the unit to guide me. When moving the unit I took care not to tilt or turn the unit over. Any help would be appreciated. Its hot here in South Carolina!
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2010
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Chat Conversation Started
Phil :

Hello, lets look for something simple first... I suspect the ground may be faulty so while the electronics are getting power, tney are still not operating because the ground is flawed or etc.

Phil :

You will need a multi meter to check this out.. cheapest is 15 dollars it will get you by... 30 dollar one is better.

Customer:

ground checks ok both chassis ground and i'm reading 120 on each leg of supply

Phil :

Thanks... you are probably reading 240v across line 1 and 2 also, right?

Phil :

In that case the power and ground should be OK.. I have no clue why the unit would have been running at you neighbors and now won't run at your place in that case.

Phil :

Do you want to try a few things?

Phil :

if so, unplug the unit, then access the internal wiring and replug all the gang connectors and especially any that plug into the control card... and look for loose or burnt wires.. let me know how that goes.

Customer:

when i try to read across both i do not get a reading

Phil :

!! thats good... you have found the problem... one leg of your 240v is off at the breaker panel

Customer:

ill check it out

Phil :

just reset the breaker. then check the breaker at its output for 240v between line 1 and 2..if you don't get 240v, make sure you have reset it properly... if still no 240v, replace the breaker.

Phil :

If its an old breaker you may not be able to get a replacement easily...in that case, look in your local yellow pages for a surplus or used electrical supply..those carry obsolete breakers (at about twice the price of the ones still being made) not bad though.

Phil :

If this does it for you please click the accept button. Thanks!

Customer:

i check the output at the box and get 120 on each leg but if i go across both i get 120. I bought 2 15a seimens breakets and linked them together. I guess that is my problem. AC only draws about 7.7 amps. So I should go buy a new 240 breaker?

Phil :

exactly correct.

Customer:

Thanks Phil i'm off the Loews. Good deal thanks again...and i will hit the "accept" button

Phil :

If the wire size is #12, it would be best to buy a 20 amp 240v breaker though..but be sure its 12 gage, it will be stamped on the wire as size 12 if thats the case...size 12 is very common... if its size 14 stay with the 15 amp size

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer