HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

i had a repairman change my contactors and capacator inside…

Customer Question
i had a repairman change...
i had a repairman change my contactors and capacator inside my ac unit because he said the contacts were burnt and the capacator was old. After he changed them my compressor began kicking on and off. It takes all day to cool off my house because the compressor don't run long enough to cool good. He said its because the compressor is getting old but it never did this before he changed the parts. It was running good and could cool off my house very rapidly. Could he have put the wrong contacts or capacator in to make it do this? I asked this question earlier and forgot to but my email address in so i hope i am not charged twice. The unit is about 18 years old but still was working very good. The voltage on the compressor says 270 / 208 but on the capacator it says 370 volts. These should be the same correct?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/27/2010
HVAC Technician: Mr. Jeff Pearson, Mechanical Engineering Technologist replied 8 years ago
Mr. Jeff Pearson
Mr. Jeff Pearson, Mechanical Engineering Technologist
Chat Conversation Started

The voltages are referring to different types of voltages and do not need to be the same. Each compressor however needs to have it correct capacitor in order to work properly. The type and size of the capacitor is described by the numbers that are in this form,;

45uf-370volt or 470volt what does the one in there now say? And what is the model number of the compressor? Look for this form, "AV123RT-029-17" OR "55528-EXN"

also get the condensing unit make and model number. Then I will tell you what size cap should be in there.

Jeff P

Dont think i can get make and model cause its old and hard to read also i have to get inside outdoor unit to see the info plate. The voltages were marked on the top so i just looked through the fan housing. I will try.

It is very important that you get at least the numbers off the compressor. You should only have to take a few screws out to get the cover off. The compressor numbers are usually on the top of the compressor and stamped in or on a plate. If you can do that I'll do the rest. The wrong cap in your compressor could cause it permanent damage.