HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Bryant A/C unit is not working. The compressor was running…

Customer Question
My Bryant A/C unit is...
My Bryant A/C unit is not working. The compressor was running and the pipes to the inside unit are cold, but the fan is not circulating the cold air to the house.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/27/2010
HVAC Technician: Jason Hvac, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
Jason  Hvac
Jason Hvac, HVAC Technician
Is the fan even blowing
The fan is not blowing
ok is this a gas furnance or electric air handler
Gas furnace
ok do you have a volt meter
Yes
first thing take the door off unplug unit and look at the capacitor,and see if the capacitor is swollen on top or side

Edited by Jason Hvac on 6/27/2010 at 4:22 AM EST
The capacitor seems normal
ok with the volt meter on the board with the unit powered up and the unit on a/c check between the R and G and tell me what the volt meter says
27 volts
ok thermostat not calling for the fan
If the thermostat is calling for the fan, what should the voltage be?
it will show o on meter check between G and ground what does it say
Ground is which color wire?
Ground is just touch one of your leads to a screw on the unit and the other lead to the G on the board
There is 0 volts. I noticed, though, the only two screws on the unit hold the unit to the wall. The two screws just go into a plastic electrical box, so I suspect they are not connected to ground.
The way this works is By using the volt meter to XXXXX is power the G is for your fan when the thermostat calls for a/c the R and G close to in gage the fan, Its an open and close switch, so if you turned the a/c on checking between R and G you should see 0 unless the thermostats not calling for fan if the thermostats not calling for fan you will see 24 volts, also make sure your motor is getting voltage it it