HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My 1 yr old Trane central unit will not come on It was working…

My 1 yr old Trane...
My 1 yr old Trane central unit will not come on
It was working fine and I decided it needed a new filter. Accidentally opened the main
door instead of filter door. Now it won't come on. AC man said the door had to be on properly, we did that and it clicked on for 1 sec and then shut off. Breakers are working, when you push black button on inside of door it still doesnt come on.

HELP....its hot!!!!!!!!
6/27/2010
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Chat Conversation Started
gotoman for ac :

Is this a gas furnace or air handler. Russ

Customer:

gas furnace, i dont know what an air handler is

Customer:

I am trying to get air cond to come on

Customer:

it was working fine it's only one yr old and I thought it needed a new filter, which it did

gotoman for ac :

Good enough. When you push black button does the board inside light up. Russ

Customer:

so I had my son take the main door off instead of the filter door. Then we couldnt gt door back on properly, then called Trane and guy called me back and said door had to be back on correctly

Customer:

NO, the board does does not light up

Customer:

we are checking again tho on the board

Customer:

So, finally we got the door back on properly and it clicked on for about 1 sec and then it went off

Customer:

No he checked and board does not light up

gotoman for ac :

Check the board there is a fuse see if it is blown. Russ

Customer:

okay how would we do that.....pull all of the fuses out one by one

Customer:

okay what do these fuses look like? a car type fuse or something else

gotoman for ac :

Put door back on and check to see if fan works in on postion. Russ

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I took out # XXXXX 5 fuse and it looks broker

Customer:

broken

Customer:

do you mean that this number 5 fuse would keep the whole unit from working

Customer:

okay I had tried the fan in on position today and it didnt work

gotoman for ac :

Yes the fuse is in the low voltage control circuit and will not allow anything to work when it is blown. Replace fuse. Retry unit. Russ

Customer:

are you still there

Customer:

I went to walmart and got a 5 put it in and unit started to work

Customer:

then it broke again the fuse.

Customer:

Can I put a 10 in

Customer:

i was talking to gotoman

Customer:

yes the first 5 fuse we put in blew out also

Customer:

went to get another one

Customer:

I was going to pay you more but can't figure this payment and tip thing out.

Customer:

Would it be better to give you another tip? or what?

Customer:

Thanks again sooooo much :)

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Do not put a larger fuse. You have a short in low voltage. Try just to run fan no AC and see what happens. Russ

Not sure if you got all of my replies or not las night.

One more question.....never sure if I get the filter in right or not for this 20x25x4. Is the arrow suppose to be pointing towards the back of the filter box. That would make the side with the silver threads in it NOT facing the main part of the unit.

AC worked fine when I got rhe 5 fuse put in correctly. I WAS SOOOOOO THRILLED. YEA!!!!!, we slept very comfortably.

Have a great day! :)
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
I had mentioned that I had a hard time figuring out how to pay you more or tip etc.
What would be best for you a tip or another payment or what?
THanks :)
Arrow go to back and a bonus would work out well. Thanks. Russ