HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Sir or Maam, I hav ea Carrier 38CKC048370 A/C unit. I replace…

Customer Question
Sir or Ma'am, I hav...
Sir or Ma'am,
I hav ea Carrier 38CKC048370 A/C unit. I replace the filter too late and I believe the system has been 'tripped'. My thermostat is on 'cool' and the outside unit is not blowing. The filter has been replaced inside and I have tried to turn the breaker on and then off. I currently have the thermostat off, waiting for 15 minutes to pass. This should be an easy reset in my eyes.
Thank you!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/26/2010
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Chat Conversation Started
gotoman for ac :

Check to see if you have a float switch in drain line. It will trip and shut off outside unit when drain line plugs. Also go to outside unit and feel fan motor on top of unit to see if it hot. Russ

Customer:

Sir,

Customer:

motor is not hot and I don't see a drain line plug. Previously when we forgot to change the filter I believe a mechanic just came out and hit a 'reset' button. I have tried to turn off the breakers and then turn them back on. I also pulled out a four brass 'circuit' on the outside and then placed it back inside. I did not see any damage or anything unusual with it.

gotoman for ac :

Open up panel door on outside unit. See if contactor is energized. Russ

Customer:

There is no panel from what I can tell. I opened up the top but did not see anything relevant when I did that. I don't have a voltmeter to see if the contactor is energized.

gotoman for ac :

There should be an access panel on side or corner of unit. It may be a solid panel you will have to remove it and the wiring and controls will be at the top. Russ

Customer:

Opened up the access panel and don't really see much more than two canisters and a lot of wires. Does appear to have any switches or controls.

Customer:

Meant to say does 'not' appear to have any. . . .

gotoman for ac :

If you do not have voltmeter this is as far as we can go. We will have to do some trouble shooting to see where you lost control voltage to outside unit. You need to call a service tech. Russ

Customer:

I found a 'button' that I can push and get the outside unit to work however it does not stay on.

Customer:

I can't seem to lock the button in place

Customer:

Thank you for your time on this. . . . quite hot in Tampa and my two girls are whining up a storm. I am a Marine so I am more pissed off at that fact that I can't get it to work!

gotoman for ac :

Understand. My daughter just retired from Marines this month. Made E9 what ever that rank is in Marines. I was Air Force. The hardest part about this job is not being on site. I would go further but I would not want to get ou hurt. Russ

Customer:

That is SgtMaj!! Awesome!!

Customer:

My father was a Marine and I have about 14 years in now. So I can't do anything else with this button on the unit outside? Do I need to look at the thermostat and take off the cover to mess with the 'Y' connection?

gotoman for ac :

Go to inside unit and pull panel off. There may or may not be a terminal board. If no board look up top right side you will see a cluster of wires. Take the Red and Yellow wire twist them together. See if outside unit comes on. Russ

Customer:

I connected the yellow and red wires and the unit outside did not come on.

Customer:

HELLO!!

gotoman for ac :

Losr server for a moment. It is n ot thermost you just bypassed it. It is a control problem,broken wire or a charge problem. You will need someone with some test instrumentsd to check system. Sorry Russ

Customer:

I know that the only reason this unit went off was because the unit had a block filter. I don't see how a wire is now the issue.

gotoman for ac :

Usually a stopped up filter does not cause unit to shut down. What type filter do you have.

Customer:

Just the regular air filter in the house. From the Carrier website, "An extremely blocked filter can cause your outdoor air conditioner unit to shut down due to lack of proper airflow."

gotoman for ac :

A blocked filter in the heat mode will cause unit to go out on high head pressure and shut down. A blocked filter in cool mode just causes unit to iceup not shut down. That is why I said control voltage problem. Russ

Customer:

I just can't understand why I can toggle with the button on the outside unit and it will come on temporarily. Is that all related to voltage? All the wires look intact and nothing looks burned, frayed etc.

Customer:

Gotoman for AC are you still there?

gotoman for ac :

What toggle are you talking about on outside unit. Russ

Customer:

It almost looks like a breaker type of deal.

Customer:

I can only push it in though, vice moving it up or down. It looks like it should be able to lock in place however, I cannot see how it would. It has a spring at the base and looks like a rectangle in the middle of two longer and skinnier rectangles.

Customer:

One of the skinny rectangles has 21 on the top and 23 on the bottom. The other has two 23s.

gotoman for ac :

Is this located near outsided. Does it pull out, Try pushing it in hard. You may have a loose connection there. Russ

Customer:

This is right in the middle of the control panel outside. I will try to push it in hard.

Customer:

It does not want to stay pushed in. I can see the 'sparks' / 'connection' when I push it in. The fan comes right on.

gotoman for ac :

That is the contactor. It has two set of contacts with power coming in bottom. It should push in easy. If you push this in does unit come on. Rfuss

Customer:

Yes, I can push it in and it comes on. It pushes in very easily.

gotoman for ac :

The contactor is energized with control voltage from inside. Hold contactor in and feel large copper line to see if it is cold. Russ