HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

its a trane ex1000 but we cant find the reset

Customer Question
??...
its a trane ex1000 but we cant find the reset ??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/26/2010
HVAC Technician: freon, Licensed A/C Contractor replied 8 years ago
freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor
Chat Conversation Started
freon :

hey yall! did you get any sleep?

Customer:

lol not much ill tell you that its trane ex1000 but he took cover off heat pump and thier is no cut off switch thier just blinking green light

freon :

what is the model number? TWR???????????

Customer:

ok hold sec

Customer:

twr042c100b3

freon :

see you got me!!!

freon :

you said last nite it was a two stage system... gerrrrr.

Customer:

oops sorry i thought you meant has two unit lol one in attic and one outside

freon :

gezz.

Customer:

lol

freon :

ok lets move on... this is a single stage heat pump split system

Customer:

ok writing that down lol

freon :

does hubby have a volt meter?

Customer:

i doubt it but he is gc so let me see

Customer:

nope

freon :

i am a text message num nut what is gc

freon :

?

Customer:

general contractor lol

freon :

i know what brb is.

freon :

oh thats not text mes lingo.

Customer:

lol

Customer:

need to update update

freon :

now let me see. we need to look at the red blinking light and count the number of blinks before it pauses and starts over.

Customer:

not red bliking light its green

Customer:

should i count the green

Customer:

its steady bliking no pauses

freon :

ok

freon :

this means that it is not sensing a fault at all right now... do you see where there is a red led but its not lit?

Customer:

no no other lights at all that we see but it still only blowing fan air

Customer:

does this unit have a manuel reset button anywhere ?

freon :

ok. i think there is a wire loose either at the contactor, or in the compresser j box that is on the side of the compressor it self. now this is dangerous...no kidding. to test your hubby needs a volt meter.

freon :

no manual reset except to turn power off to the unit and then back on.

Customer:

ok im gonna call ac company to fix it sounds like too much for us

freon :

i am sorry i couldnt get it on for you guys! i hate that! I want so bad to help you folks! i think the compressor wires may be bad at the compressor end or that the compressor is "shorted open" you will need a volt ohm meter to test it.

freon :

now you paid me last nite so please dont feel obligated to pay this time.

Customer:

ok thank you so much for all you help :)

freon :

your completely welcom! good luck ....feeel free to second guess the ac tech that comes out

freon :

if you dont trust him

Customer:

lol i will i know little bit now at least have a great day! :)

freon :

ok try to stay cool.

Customer:

i will thanks

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.

Dear XXXXX and Hubby,

Again i am sorry i could not get this compressor to run for you... Have the tech do a ohm test right in front of you. the reading between the three wires (usually black, red and orange or blue) should be like: 3ohms, 2 ohms and 1ohm. if the unit shows an open winding....another words no reading between two of the wires then he must open the top duck down into the unit and make sure that the three wire plug is good and intact. if this is the case then the compressor is simply shorted open. And you will have to have a new compressor or unit. At this point it still could be a loose wire or burnt wire at the compressor. So keep your fingers crossed.

Signing out,

freon