HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

condensor fan keeps kicking off help!

Customer Question
Replacing a condensor fan motor...
Replacing a condensor fan motor 3 wire with a 5 wire. Shows a jumper not sure. Got that changed fan still shuts off after a few minutes and compressor starts making a whinning sound. Also replaced start capacitor
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/26/2010
HVAC Technician: Douglas, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.

Do you have the new motor brand and model number and can you tell me what wires you have coming out of the motor? Also did you get a new capacitor with the motor? If not, look at the motor and see if it says what capacitor it requires and compare that to the one in the unit.

It sounds as though you have a universal replacment motor that can be configured to run clockwise or counterclockwise. Additionally it may hook to the capacitor differntly than the old one did.
Yes got the new Capacitor and the motor can run either way. Its 51-23055-11, the part I need help with is it shows to wire the orange and purple together but on the purple it has a little circle with a cut in it. Is that a resistor I need to put in or is it actually cut?
one moment and I will pull the documents.... hang tight.
I am not sure what your "cut" thing is....

Is this the diagram you have?

graphic
In the diagram, the oval thing with the two dots (in the upper one it's purple). That is the capacitor.

Yea thats the Diagram. So are the wires that just go to a dot nothing?

ok...lets narrow it down. Are you going CW or CCW?

Is that looking at the motor from the top or bottom?
Usually it's from the top looking down, but les pick on and then if it's backwards, we can change it.

So lets assume the top diagram.

From your contactor T1 you will run a wire to one side of the capacitor.

On that same block on the capcitor you will connect the orange wire from the motor.

The purple wire will go to the other terminal on the capcitor.

The yellow and brown are wired together not connected to anything.

The black wire goes to T2 (may be marked as T3) on the contactor.
Well that got it wired up but im still having my original problem, after a few minutes of running the fan stops and the compressor starts making a whinning sound. Any ideas on that? I replaced the capacitor first and not the fan motor.
Anyone have an idea? I been waiting for about 3 hours now.
I really need help with this!!!! It is really hot in the south right now