HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a carrier thermostadt, 97-4904 or T8600C1188-HH641-101,

Customer Question
and right now it says...
I have a carrier thermostadt, 97-4904 or T8600C1188-HH641-101, and right now it says "-AC" where it should say the degrees. Everything else is correct. This is the first time this year that I was going to run the A/C and I switched the thermostadt to cool before I flipped the circut breaker for the A/C on. I was wondering how to get the message off the screen. It doesn't change even if I switch the thermostadt to heat instead of cool.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/26/2010
HVAC Technician: Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician replied 8 years ago
Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Mark Henley :

Hi, the -AC means you have lost 24 volt power, either you have lost 24 volt power or the thermostat is defective, when you put the fan on does it come on ? Does anything run ?

Customer:

no, nothing happens when I put the fan on. Nothing changes on the display and no air comes out of the register.

Mark Henley :

Hi, ok you lost 24 volt power mroe than likely, there should be a circuit board in the furnace with a small blade type fuse usually purple 3 amps, you need to get to that and check it. This could also mean that you just do not have power on at the furnace also, so check the breaker and or fuses for it, there may also be a switch to power the furnace on, near the furnace usually on the side of it.

Customer:

I got the fuse out, looks like is blown, will replace, hopefully it works!

Mark Henley :

Good, it should, though there is a reaon that it blows, it could have been a one time thing but if it blows when you restart it you are going to be looking for a short in your wiring, you may need a tech to resolve that if it comes about.