HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My compressor wont stay on and we have replaced the kickstart…

Customer Question
My compressor wont stay on...
My compressor wont stay on and we have replaced the kickstart and the start capacitor. Do you have any idea as to whats the matter it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/26/2010
HVAC Technician: Douglas, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.

The kickstart is only for the actual start of the compressor and it is taken out of the ciruciut in less than a second so that's not your problem. The run capacitor could be but you would have to compare the microfarad rating of the capacitor agaist the rating plate of the compressor to be sure.

The question then becomes whether the compressor is shutting off as a result of the thermal overload or if the contactor is opening. If the contactor is opening it wouldnt be the compressor neccesarily but more likely a control such as a high or low pressure switch or something like that.

How long does your compressor run? Do you know if the outdoor fan stays running when the compressor shuts off?
We replaced the run capasitor when we replaced the kickstart the compressor kicks on for a few seconds and then shuts off. It is a geothermal unit closed loop geothermal system so we don't have an outdoor fan unit.
OK... yeah I guess I missed that....

Can you see if the contactor opens (the relay that drives the compressor)? Or does it stay in and the compressor pops off by itself?

We are waiting for it to do something! We had the breaker turned off to the unit and I had to turn it back on. It still hasn't done anything. It just tried to come on! It appears the low capacity starter pulled in and stayed in and the start is off now and the compressor is now off.

ok so the contactor pulled in, but the compressor didnt start? IS the compressor warm to the touch?
yes it is hot
OK.... the first thing we need to do is let it cool and this will take several hours. Just because the shell cools down doesnt mean the compressor is cool enough internally to reset the overload.

Check the rating plate of the compressor for the microfarad requirements and make sure the capacitor you have matches it. It will be identified either as mfd or uF. You may also have a tight compressor in which even the right capacitor may not fix it. Be sure it's wired correctly.

Have you had a tech look at it?

Do you have a volt ohm meter?

We have a volt ohm meter and we haven't had anyone look at it.
does your meter have a setting for mfd or uF? Most dont but some modern ones do.

Do you know how to measure resistance (ohm setting)?
Yes, the meter has a mfd setting. Yes, he knows how to measure the ohm setting.
Ok... first thing. Set it to mfd and have him disconnect the run capacitor and measure the capacitor from one terminal to the other. It should measure within 10% of the rating on the capacitor.

Next remove the wires from the compressor and make sure he notes where they went. There are 3. The terminals should be marked R S C (run, start, common). Put the meter in Ohms and measure from R to C then S to C and then R to S and make a note.

Please be sure the power is off before doing any of this!
from r to c is: 1 ohms from s to c is: 2 ohms from r to s is: 2.5 ohms The capacitor is: He thinks his meter isn't measuring the capacitor. It says zero for the rating. This is the new capacitor that we just bought. We had the old one checked and it measured o.k. but we went ahead and bought a new one and put it on.
Hmmm your measurements for the compressor windings say the overload is closed.

so nothing happens when he tries to read the capacitor? Do you have the old one still so we can see how it measures?
He gets the same reading off of the old one. The points on the contactors look a little bit burnt.
as in black?
They are black and little rough but not completely burnt away.
well, hard to tell from here, but a pitted contactor can certainly offer a voltage drop.

I would reconnect everything, remove the kickstart and see how it does right now if you attempt to start it.
Is your husbands meter alalog (with a needle) or digital?

The compressor ran briefly without the kickstart it didn't make any loud noise like it has been when it tries to start. It growled a little bit before when it tried to start. The compressor isn't vibrating or anything so we assume it isn't running.

It is a digital meter.