HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Air handler fan not working Is there a reset switch on my Heil air handler…

Customer Question
Air handler fan not working Is...
Air handler fan not working
Is there a reset switch on my Heil air handler?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/26/2010
HVAC Technician: Douglas, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.

Usually there is not a reset switch on the blower motor. So can we assume the outdoor unit runs but the air handler does not?

Some simple tests and you can tell me how they react.

Switch the cooling off and just select fan on at the thermostat.... does it come on?

It can be either a fan relay or the motor itself. Turn the power off to the air handler at the breaker and remove the cover by the blower. With the power off see if you can turn the blower wheel freely by hand. If it's hard to turn, the bearings are shot in the motor. If it spins freely we would have to consider either the motor is over heating, the relay that powers the motor has failed or something like that.

Let me know
Thanks.
Fan does not come on with cooling off and selected.

I am going out to some cool place for lunch. I will try your suggestions later today.
good idea
We are unable to open the unit. It is over 20 years old and so are we! A/C service providers in this area are all booked up for a week! We will just have to keep trying.
Finally got the cover off. The fan moved freely. When we reset the breaker & turned the unit to cool, it started immediately & seems to be running fine. We shall see if it continues! The fan motor may have overheated as we had it running continuously for a number of days. Thanks for your help!