HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a GE Air Conditioner unit model # BWR924A100A 60Hz.

I have a GE Air...
I have a GE Air Conditioner unit model # XXXXX 60Hz. I am not sure how old it is but the fan does kick in this spring. I was thinking there should be a fan reset button on the fan motor but I cannot see one on the motor itself or in the panel where other controls are located.
Ther compressor kicks in when called for but the fan does not. Any suggestions? Thanks! Don
6/26/2010
Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Mark Henley :

Hi, this is the outdoor section fan on the condenser ? If so it's probably a failed capacitor or a failed motor itself, let me know if its the outside unit, thanks

Customer:

Yes, it is the big fan in the outside unit tyhat does not kick in.

Mark Henley :

Hi ok I would try spinning it by hand or push it with a screwdriver. If it turns freely you may just need a capacitor, if there is any restriction at all then it's the motor, let me know.

Customer:

The motor spins freely just as I expect it would and does not sound like there are dry bearings or any other obvious problems.

Mark Henley :

I would try replacing the capacitor on it before buying a new motor for it,

Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician

Hi, here is a picture of some typical capcitors, you can follow the wires back from the motor and one or two of them wil connect to this,

http://www.myhvacparts.com/images/Capacitors.jpg

Thanks

Mark