HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My home air conditioner stopped cooling last week so I had…

Customer Question
My home air conditioner stopped...
My home air conditioner stopped cooling last week so I had it charged with Frion. It took a full 24 hrs to cool back down to the thermostat setting temp. It seemed to be working ok but day two it was reading 74 and set at 71...it couldn't keep up but overnight it cooled back down to 71. Day 3 it got up to 78 and cooled back down over night. Last night it got up to 81 and now is not cooling back down. Do you think their is a leak in the system somewhere and if so how much can I expect to pay for repairs?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/26/2010
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Chat Conversation Started
gotoman for ac :

If it is hot in house low side will read high. Depending on where the lesk is will determine how much it cost to repair. The tech should have looked for a leak. If it is inside cooling coil about 1200.00 to replace coil. It is difficult to weld on the coils because they are so thin. Russ

Customer:

I have been told it is possible the line is clogged. Is it more probable there is a leak?

gotoman for ac :

How much refrigerant did the tech put in system. If low side was high you do not have a clogged line. You have aleak. Russ Old Trane/GE Engineer