HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Trane XB13 AC fan not working

Customer Question
JACustomer: My AC (Trane...

JACustomer:

My AC (Trane XB13) outside fan not running, something else out there is, (humming noise), but no serious cooling in the house. Fans in house is running. Breakers reset etc. Fan outside spins freely. Some circuit board in house shows a bright green light.  Is there something to reset?

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/26/2010
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Expert:

Check your inside unit and see if you have a float switch in drain line. This switch opens circuit to outside unit when drain stops up (keeps from flooding house). If float switch is OK, go outside and open panel to unit. It will be on corner of unit. You will see an open relay that is contactor. See if that is energized.

JACustomer:

Is the outside loud hum normal? A lot of heat through the top of unit at that point. Inside float area appeared fine.

Expert:

Open up outside panel and check capacitor. This a large silver cannister. See if top is puffy or bulged.

JACustomer:

Out here now, does not appear bulged. Some circuit board in there, blinking green.

Is there anything that might have tripped in our high heat (100f)? To make sure I'm clear, if AC is set on inside, fans run, some cool comes through vent. Outside unit fan doesn't turn but there's a loud hum and a lot of heat coming up through unit.

Expert:

OK, you will need to take top off unit. There are four 1/4-inch screws that hold on top. We need to check to see if fan is stuck or not.

JACustomer:

I have the big fuse outside currently pulled for this, is that correct?

Screws removed.

Expert:

Yes, that will kill power to unit. Just remove the plastic top and try to spin fan. Feel fan and see if it is hot.

JACustomer:

Fan seems to move freely. Fan housing isn't hot currently, but then again hasn't been powered for a while now.

Expert:

OK, turn on unit and see if fan tries to run.

JACustomer:

Nope no fan. Loud hum, cool air through vents inside, and heat out here from unit, but no fan outside.

Expert:

See if fan tries to start. Let it run Try spinning fan. Compressor does run correct?

JACustomer:

Motor housing a bit warmed after that.

Reach in a powered-on AC unit?

Not sure I'd know compressor noise. Something is cooling enough for cool air to flow somewhat inside the house. There is a clear temp drop on air coming out of vents, just not as much of one as normal. But I know the fan out here should turn.

Expert:

You still may have bad capacitor. Time to call service tech.