HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a bryant 373LAV and the blower motor is not coming on,

I see 5 wires going...
I have a bryant 373LAV and the blower motor is not coming on, I see 5 wires going to the blower motor, I have a DVOM. I think I should check for DC voltage between the white and other wires please confirm. Also I see to brown wires going to a capasitor how do I check this.
6/26/2010
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

You are correct....the white wire will be neutral and the color wires different speeds. The black wire is attached to "cool" and will activate when ac is turned on. The red is lowest speed and commonly on "heat"....you will need to verify 120v when motor should be energized at neutral white and black cool

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

to confirm 120 AC between white and black with the AC on

also should i check the cap?

also if it is the blower, do you know how to remove the vent pipe running across the housing. This is a horizintal mount unit
If it is blower motor, you will need to take the vent pipe off the top (in this case side) of the unit. Then the box assembly will come off. The nice thing is the whole blower assembly can come out with the removal of 2 5/16's screws.
Thanks for your help Ill see how this works out
I leave all my questions open so please return for any follow up. I appreciate the generous bonus and will remain available until your situation is remedied.

Billy, have a question on the wireing on the new motor, I ment to take a photo before I remove the old blower but to late now, I know the following wires but not all of them

whit:common

red:heat

black:cool

blue:not sure I have spare 1 and 2

old motor had yellow going to where blue was not ie: spare 1 or 2

new motor yellow wire is looped back on it self and also has orange wire looped on itself

what to do what to do??????

The "spare" 1 and 2 are just dummy terminals to park unused leads on.

Black = high

blue=med hi

yellow=med low

red = low

white = neutral

The black goes to High as you knew and then if you want to mimic old put yellow on Heat.....then it does not matter what "spare the the remaining 2 wires go to.

The yellow and orange at the rear of the motor are for direction it spins...to change rotation unhook yellow and plug to orange...and the same with remaining 2 wires.