HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

how do you get a programmable carrier thermostat to stay on…

Customer Question
how do you get a...
how do you get a programmable carrier thermostat to stay on one temp?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/26/2010
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Chat Conversation Started
Phil :

Hello, how much deviation from the stat setting are you getting in the actual room temperature?

Phil :

1 degree from the set point is the norm... 2 degrees happens at times... 3 degrees or more requires some adjustments.

Customer:

It is 86 in the room and we are trying to get it to 75

Customer:

We do not want it programed different each day or at different times of the day, we just want to leave it at 75

Customer:

where are you?

Customer:

hello, do you have an answer?

Phil :

I just sent one

Phil :

But ... we keep going until you get all of your issues addressed.

Phil :

Could be 15 answers, you only click accept though when you are all fixed up.

Customer:

okay, so how do you do that, for example we set it for 5:30 on Friday to go to 75, and it still says 89

Phil :

In that case you either have not programmed it properly OR the stat is defective...both are common.

Phil :

Is this a new installation?

Phil :

Sometimes it takes a rocket scientist to sort out the programming instructions... some are simply inexcuably obtuse.

Customer:

no, we moved into a new office, pluged in the servers in the server room, and it is 89 in here.

Phil :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX revealing... I do a lot of computer rooms... it could easily be too small an AC unit or air handler or cold air supply for the room... that is very common with servers, especially if the room was not designed for servers..those put out a lot of heat.

Phil :

89F puts your servers at signficant risk, for now I recommend you run with the door open and fan to blow cold air in at floor level, the heat will leave near the top of the door. 89F is NOT ok

Customer:

Yes, I know they do, that is why we are trying to program the stat to 75, can you help?

Phil :

There are dozens of stats on the market and the programming for the same model often changes ..what works is if you can list the buttons on your stat, and what the programming instructions say, and i can walk you through programming it.

Customer:

it is a carrier programable thermostat, we have read and read the instructions and it didn't work do you know this model?

Phil :

It is quite likely that the stat already has the cooling on full cooling mode and the reason the room is at 89F is because there cooling is not adequate... that can be verified by checking the air temp coming out of the supply air registers.. it should be 15 to 20 degrees F cooler than the room. or 55F depending on how the buildings ac system is designed.

Phil :

I have 50 years in this business as a contractor and consulting engineer, Ive programmed a few hundred stats, but have no clue at all what your particular stats programming proceedure is until I see what you have exactly and the instructions listed on the drop down cover.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello again, thanks for the accept but you accepted before I could get enough info from you about the stat, its various buttons and probramming notes on the inside cover to assist. It will be easiest though to check the supply air to the computer room, its its cold, 55F or so and the server room is still hot.. the stat is working and the AC is simply too small for the room.