HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

the unit will not turn on.

Customer Question
the unit will not turn on.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/26/2010
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 8 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

Is there a blinking light on the circuit board?

Customer:

yes it is a slow blink

Billy :

Thank you....do you mind removing the top section of the thermostat for a test?

Customer:

we have a varitrac ccp controler.

Customer:

I am at the fire house where we are having the problems here

Customer:

what do you think?

Billy :

I understand...the Varitrac is just a zone controller....the pulsing light at the unit , if slow, says normal status with no call for function. This means nothing is telling the unit to kick on

Customer:

How do we tell it to kick on?

Billy :

At the Varitrac will be 2 different power sources...one to run the controller...and the furnace power waiting to be have contacts closed

Customer:

the version of the varitrac is v4.200.340

Billy :

Do you have a meter?

Customer:

no

Billy :

Terminals 1 and 2 are the 24v power supply for the controller....it would be nice to put a meter on there to see if power..but track the wires from 1 and 2 and see where they go...

Customer:

ok do you want me to do that now

Customer:

our controler is on the thrid floor and i am on the first, can i call you and you can run me through the process

Billy :

Yes, the 1 and 2 I want you to check is the 1 and 2 on the right hand side of Varitrac

Billy :

The site blocks all email and phone to protect customer privacy...so direct calling or email is prohibited...sorry

Customer:

ok, i just looked and they are both connected good

Customer:

what next?

Billy :

Well here is the conundrum...I can tell you how to jump the unit on....but this does not power open the dampers for you...thus the unit would be running ...but the dampers would be closed. Given the situation, I am betting the 24v to operate the controls is missing...maybe a bad transformer?

Billy :

But you will need to check 1 and 2 for 24v before going further

Billy :

check all breakers to in case the 120 that feeds the transformer is off

Customer:

ok, do we just need to have someone out to look at it

Customer:

all breakers are good

Billy :

I am afraid so....first thing to establish is that power to control...sorry...wish I could have helped more

Customer:

no prob thanks