HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My son in law wants to sell us a tempstar ch3036ukb1 to replace…

Customer Question
My son in law wants...
My son in law wants to sell us a tempstar ch3036ukb1 to replace the one that just went out tonight. it is used. but how old and how large? we were told we need a 4 ton unit. My husband is disabled and facing 4 level spine fusion in 5 weeks. We can't afford to put in a brand new unit at this time. What info can you give me on this particular unit? PLEASE HELP ME! he is in such great pain all the time and we live in the humid mountains of nw georgia. I really need to be able to keep him comfortable both before and after surgery at least until the cool months get here. Thanks!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
HVAC Technician: freon, Licensed A/C Contractor replied 8 years ago
freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor
Chat Conversation Started
freon :

i will be glad to help!

freon :

this is a three ton 13 SEER unit. What is the square footage of your home?

Customer:

1680 sq ft

freon :

ok, is your home on ground, on a slab or basement style?

Customer:

how old do you think this unit might be. My son in law doesn't know. He was doing some work on a house and it was given to him. ?

freon :

or is it on pileings up in the air / or blocked up off the ground?

freon :

i will need the serial number to see how old.

Customer:

Mobile home, husband corrected sq ftg to 1848, it is on footers with concrete blocks.

Customer:

CH3036UKB1

freon :

ok this makes all the difference.

freon :

that is the model number, do you have the serial number?

Customer:

will have to call son in law back to get that. give me a minute please

freon :

I would only use the 3 ton if i had nothing else. you would be better off with the 4 ton. Especially if you are in the broad open sun light.

Customer:

We just can't find a good used 4 ton unit quickly and it's been in the 90's here this week. We wanted to put in a new unit but can't do the surgery and new unit both. The back surgery has been necessary for over a year now but he's afraid he won't be able to take care of this farm very well.

Customer:

What if I closed off several of the rooms and closed the floor vents.? Serial number is XXXXX

freon :

ok i did not see your reply and was waiting for you.

freon :

I believe you have a 2009 unit. I will have to check with the distributor tomorrow to make sure. did you see my other info?

freon :

closeing off of the rooms may help a little. May i ask how much the 3ton unit would be to buy and install?

freon :

alicyne,

freon :

are you still there?

Customer:

My son in law would work something out with us and a friend from church will probably put it in, but don't know the charge yet. He has always been very fair with pricing.

Customer:

sorry for the delay, was also trying to fix dinner.

freon :

Here is what i think. Call your son in law (who i think shoud give you the unit), ask him how much. Call the installer guy and ask him how much. add these two togeather. if it ends up more than $400. then dont waste the money. Call the supply houses and ask if they have a scratch and dent 4ton. look for brand names on line like: payne, frigidare, Hire, Air Ease. These are all cheep brands. You can locate the distributor in your area for these and call them and ask for a 4 ton scratch and dent. if they have one they can talk to a dealer of their choice who will in turn sell it to you. It must be an R22 unit i am sure this is what you have at your home.

freon :

then have your installer guy from church come and do the install. This is the cheepest way i can tell you unless you simply call all the a/c dealers in your area and ask them to salvage a 4 ton that someone is throwing away as they have up graded and have them sell the unit to you for 75 or 100 bucks. Then have your installer in stall it.

freon :

Mobile homes usually require more cooling per square foot than regular homes. This is why i would not go with the three ton.

freon :

Dear Alicyne,

freon :

you keep disappearing. Are you still there?

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.

Dear Alicyne,

I gave you some answers to go on and hope you can do them. I wish you well in your efforts to get your a/c on for your husband. God Bless you!

freon

Dear Alicyne,

I never heard back from you and hope you got your a/c working. Please click on the ACCEPT link so that i may be paid for helping you. Thank you for contacting Just Answers!

freon