HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a heat pump in an older home (1971). I have replaced…

I have a heat pump...
I have a heat pump in an older home (1971). I have replaced the original thermostat with a Honeywell TH8110U1003. However, it is not cooling. The fan runs but evidently the compressor is not coming on (I am guessing).
On the old thermostat, the wiring was as follows:
red wire into R
green wire into G
yellow wire into Y
white wire into W
I wired the Honeywell thermostat exactly the same way, leaving the jumper in place on the R and RC terminals.
Where have I gone wrong?
6/25/2010
freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor
Chat Conversation Started
freon :

you did not mention the orange wire. did you put it on o/b? Also you must program your thermostat to tell it what it is... one of the programing selections will have options for you to pick the kind of system you have.

freon :

Lets take for instance you have a single stage heat, single stage cool heat pump. this would be the option you would choose for your thermostat.

freon :

Check the installers instructions that came with the stat.

Customer:

I do not have an orange wire. Only four wires as I described. I do know that I have to choose the kind of system. Perhaps I chose the wrong one. Is there an easy way for me to find out which kind of system I have?

freon :

The rest of the wiring that you have done looks great.

freon :

ok ... i have to scratch my head on this one. you have only a 4 wire system and it is a heat pump?

freon :

What is the name of your air conditioner?

Customer:

It is a heat pump. I forget the manufacturer and am not currently at the house. The compressor was replaced last year before we purchased the home but I am unsure whether the air handler was also replaced. We have two units. One for each side of the house. The other unit has 6 wires but this one only has 4.

Customer:

Given that the 4 wires I have are connected correctly, would it be reasonable to try different system configurations in the thermostat programming and see if one of the other ones works?

freon :

Ok dr bob,

freon :

in your conversation earlier you said you saw the fan running. My first thought would be that the unit is getting a signal to come on but it may be running in heat pump mode. if this were the case and it was hot out side then it will cycle off on high head pressure. This is possible if you did not program the stat properly. But i am still at a loss as to why you only have 4 wires. do you know if your unit is a brand new digital communicating system?

Customer:

The Honeywell stat is brand new. Just received it.

freon :

if it is a regular system with gas heat and standard ac condenser then you can have 4 wires

freon :

I was speaking of the system earlier not the thermostat.

freon :

How old is the system you have?

freon :

Dr. Bob,

freon :

are you recieving this chat in a timely manor?

Customer:

The compressor is new last year. Unsure about the air handler.

Customer:

Yes, receiving in a timely manner but got distracted. It is hot out here so your suggestion would make sense.

freon :

Ok, when you say compressor this is the motor inside the condenser unit. Did you get a new condenser or new compressor?

Customer:

Sorry. Condenser.

freon :

Great! are you at the unit now?

Customer:

I am not. I am at work. My wife is a the house and she is hot! (temperature-wise I mean). I am satisfied with your response given that I am not in front of the unit. I accept your answer and will go home and try different stat configurations. If I can't solve it, I have purchased unlimited questions, so I will repose my question again. Thanks for the help. At least I know I wired what I have correctly.

freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor

Dr. Bob,

Ok. Do this also. get the model and serial of the condenser unit, if not possible count the low voltage wiring conductors to the condenser unit. if it is a heat pump you must have at least 4 or 5 wires to the condenser. That is why i think you do not have a heat pump and your problem is something else. You may have a blown capacitor or refrigerant problem. Check these out and let us know!!! Thank you so much!!!

freon