Ironheadfan
Ironheadfan,
18550064

Teledyne Laars (Lite) m/n LLG 250N-C, S/N A98PC2961 (could

Customer Question

Teledyne Laars (Lite) m/n LLG 250N-C , S/N A98PC2961 (could be a D instead of a P ) 250,000 btu installed a new temp control (#R0058200) AND Knob plus pressure switch technician thinks it wae a psi 1-10
pilot light is on and stays on - switch is off during the evening when turned on in the morning the burners fire up right away and continue burning for say 10 -15 minutes then it cuts out only to fire up immediately - this "hiccuping" takes up up a significant amount of time that the furnace is turned on. Local technicians ( my house furnace crew) are frustrated and I don't want to keep paying for this - I would however like to get a couple more years of service. Any assistance you can provide will be most appreciated -thanks Bill Turner
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Ironheadfan replied 8 years ago.

Hi, I''m sorry you're having trouble with your pool heater.

http://www.jandy-downloads.com/pdfs/H0264600A.pdf

The pilot in your heater generates the power to open the gas valve. This operates on a tiny d/c voltage signal of 750 milli volts. Way less than 1 volt. Since we are using such a small voltage, any kind of poor connection will interrupt the power to the valve.

You need to inspect each wire connection for loose or corroded connections. The next thing I would do is check power from the pilot generator and make sure you're getting enough voltage. A dirty pilot burner can cause a weak voltage output. I won't go into detail here, as there is a very good electrical trouble shooting guide in the download I'm attaching. They explain it better than I could. It will require a volt meter capable of reading millivolts to test.

The other prime suspects in these pool heaters would be a defective temperature limit switch that acts up or even the temp sensor that plugs into the board. Page 32 describes how to test the temp sensor.

Without a meter about all you can do is 'jumper' the temp switches one at a time to see if it will stay running. This may help isolate the defective component. This would be for diagnostic purposes only, and any jumper wire must not be left on.

I would start with a millivolt reading. Without that you really don't know where you are. If you do not have proper voltage from the pilot generator you'd be wasting time checking anything else.

Let me know if you have questions as you progress. I'll be happy to help.

Thanks! Tom

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

RESOLVED ISSUE - PAYMENT CLEARED - LOCAL RESOURCE FOUND FOR ANY FUTURE PROBLEMS - THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE TO MY INQUIRY -

BILL TURNER