HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Carrier Outdoor AC unit. It came with the house which…

Customer Question
I have a Carrier Outdoor...
I have a Carrier Outdoor AC unit. It came with the house which was built in 1993. The Fan on the AC unit stopped working. When I looked at it it looked like 2 of the wires that come of it arced on the fan blades. I have a yellow wire, black and white, 2 black wires and 2 white wires. A black wire and a white wire are capped together and the other black wire and other white wire are just hanging there. There is an orange wire cap lying on the ground. I assume it belongs to the two wire that are just hanging from the fan motor. Should I cap those two wires together and see if it'll run again? If i do and it still doesn't work what else should I look at? Also the power box on my house by the AC unit has a T bare looking thing that pulls out and has two sets of two brass flat pins, what it is?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/25/2010
HVAC Technician: ComfortZone, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
ComfortZone
ComfortZone, HVAC Technician
Chat Conversation Started
ComfortZone :

It should work if you wire nut those 2 wires back together. From what you are describing it sounds as if those are the rotation wires for that motor. Make sure you use zip ties to keep them out of the way of the fan blade.

ComfortZone :

The t-bar is the disconnect for that outdoor unit, you pull it out to disconnect 230 volt power from that outdoor unit.

Customer:

Ok, I re-capped and the unit does not turn on.

ComfortZone :

Make sure you have power to the disconnect box. Do you own a voltmeter? If not check the breaker box

Customer:

breakers are on, don't have a voltmeter, when i discovered the AC not working there were sparks flying from the fan blades, i am assuming from the two wires that had lost the wire cap.

ComfortZone :

Does that disconnect box say "contains no fuses" on the inside?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

is it possible for the t-bar disconnect to fail?

ComfortZone :

No.

ComfortZone :

that simply makes a circuit. No moving parts involved. Plug it in and it should be hot to the outdoor unit

ComfortZone :

If you open the access panel where the power wires go into that unit, there should be a contactor. Make sure the contactor is pulled in. If it is not use a pencil and depress the center of it. Picture to follow

ComfortZone :

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok I'll try that, is the panel under the t-bar and just pull off or down?

ComfortZone :

It is on the outdoor unit. Follow the wires to the unit and it will lead you there

Customer:

ok

ComfortZone :

You should see the low voltage wires going there as well

ComfortZone :

They run with the copper pipe coming out of the house to the outdoor unit

Customer:

ok i removed the access panel and saw wires going into the terminals, i did not see a contactor.

Customer:

also earleir when i did apply power the blower fan kicked on an then off and there was a clicking noise comming from the area of the fan motor on teh outside unit

ComfortZone :

Where do the black and the white wire from the motor attach to get their power?

Customer:

I'll have a look they go from the motor thru a plastic wire run to the side and then down.

Customer:

there are two pairs of black and white wires capped together, the black and white wire are capped again 2/3 they down teh side of the unit and then those wires leave the unit and go to the power box on teh side of the house

ComfortZone :

Does the yellow wire go to a silver cylinder in the unit?

Customer:

no, it too goes 2/3 the way down is capped to another yellow wire that leaves the nuit and goes through the conduit that goes to the power box

Customer:

sorry, leaves the unit and goes through the conduit

ComfortZone :

And this power box is attached to the house?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

ok, so should I just hang in here til soemone else joins?

ComfortZone :

yes