HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

hi i got a question on an oil burning furnace. furnace comes…

Customer Question
hi i got a question...
hi i got a question on an oil burning furnace.
furnace comes on then starts to shake and pop a bit then run smooth than shake and pop again causing the furnace to trip. I looked into the furnace viewing hole while it is running and the flame seems to be pulsating from blue to orange rapidly? I changed the pump oil filter photo cell door filter main motor squirrell cage and still same issue. I also checked my chimney to see if it was plugged but its not. It seems like its starving for air but i dont know as i messed with the air adjustment and it didnt fix the problem so i returned it to its proper setting. did i mention i also changed the thermostate on the wall. Please help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/25/2010
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 8 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

I would check the coupler from the motor to the pump. It is plastic and can start to strip. After that would require putting a pressure gage on to see what the pressure is doing. If plenty of oil & oil filter changed leaves couplng or the pump itself.

Customer:

brand new pump on there and i also got a kit that included the plastic shaft that goes from the motor throught the squirrel cage and into the pump which i replaced with a new one. Could the wrong chimney cover be the problem as my furnace draws air in on the outside of the chimney and exhausts out the inside?

Billy :

is the concentric vent new?

Billy :

and is it sealed combustion or barometric damper?

Customer:

huh

Customer:

wheres that?

Customer:

now were talking about something i know nothing about lol

Billy :

Ok...is this a wall hung or stand alone?

Customer:

stand a lone

Customer:

bottom blower

Customer:

its in a trailor stock

Billy :

Thank you...have you made sure the intake is not plugged?

Customer:

yep

Customer:

thats the little pipe that adds air to the squirrel cage?

Customer:

i pulled it off to get air directly from the house and same problem

Billy :

Thank you....is nozzle clean/new?

Customer:

by the looks of it it has no damper at all just a chimney straight up to the roof

Customer:

just changed the jet actually did that after changing oil filter

Customer:

right angle of spray ...it lights perfectly every time

Customer:

starts to violently wooof wooof woof woof and then trips

Customer:

actually sound like one of those jam jar jet engins you can make

Billy :

How low or old is fuel supply?

Customer:

new tank and new fuel as of last month

Customer:

man ive asked journymen random people searched the net changed everything i could so if you can figure it out youre getting more than ten dollars lol

Billy :

Is the squirrel cage hub itslef and fins all clean and intact?

Customer:

i checked them by trying to flex them to see if one is broken but no......i also checked to see if it was binding but no.

Billy :

And do you have a swinging door in a horizontal section of the vent pipe?

Customer:

hmmmm....

Customer:

um no its just a straight double walled pipe

Billy :

has the burner run on this pipe before ok?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

never changed the chimney

Billy :

burner motor constant rpm?

Customer:

yes no cogging or stuttering

Customer:

funny thing is it only pops the relay but does not blow the breaker

Billy :

You mean the primary reset button?

Customer:

yep

Billy :

This is leading more to a bad connection at primary or the primary itself...do you have terminals F and F on the primary control?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

t and t as well

Customer:

one is for the eye and one for the thermostate if im right t thermostate f photocell right?

Customer:

oh yea and i replaced the grey primary control box as well but didnt help.

Customer:

although the damper idea sounds good maybe i just dont know where it is. Like i said before its just a straight chimney with fresh air on the outside and exhaust in the middle so maybe it doesnot even need a damper.

Customer:

okay i gotta go and i have not figured anything out so maybe we will try again some other day.thanks anyway.

Billy :

start unit and once running jump F and F together....see if it keeps running or still pops and stutters