HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My A/c works for a while and then blows hot air

6/25/2010
freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor
Chat Conversation Started
freon :

This is an automotive question but i will help because i have some experience... You have a restriction in your metering device and the a/c is pulling out by way of a low pressure relay. This helps protect the compressor.

freon :

The low pressure cut out is usually around +25 psi.

freon :

You will need to replace the orifice, txv or piston which ever you have on your Jeep.

Customer:

Are you talking about the expansion valve? What about the compressor itself? I feel a strong vibration when I turn the A/C on and the vibration stays on for a while after I shut the A/C off. I can see that the clutch is disengaded.

freon :

This is all ok! the txv if you have one (expantion valve) must be plugged or faulty. The vibration is more than likely your compressor trying to work under a heavy load and or your belt is worn or faulty.

Customer:

I guess changing the valve would be the solution. Will change dryer too.

Customer:

Can I use the A/C for short periods of time. This is Miami and is HOT!

freon :

I would repair it quickly before you ruin the compressor or clutch.

freon :

The txv or strainer orifice is alot cheeper to repair.

freon :

if you have used leak sealer in the past this may have caused the txv or strainer to gum up.

freon :

Also if you have any leaks and you run it in a vacume you may bring air and moisture into the system.

Customer:

No sealer used. Ok thanks for your answer.

freon :

If you are satisfied with my answers please click on the ACCEPT link!

freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor
Freon,

Are you there?