HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

i have a trane air handler that is 6 years old. repairman claims…

Customer Question
i have a trane air...
i have a trane air handler that is 6 years old. repairman claims coil is rusted and should be replaced at a cost of 1800. this seems excessive and upsetting that i have to replace a trane product in such a short time period.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/25/2010
HVAC Technician: freon, Licensed A/C Contractor replied 8 years ago
freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor
Chat Conversation Started
freon :

Good Morning,

freon :

sorry to hear about your coil.

freon :

The model number you submitted was for the condenser not the air handler

freon :

I can tell you that from first hand experience the cost of the A coil whole sale is about 6 to 7 hundred. Alot of the cost is due to the shiping and crateing of the coil assembly.

freon :

Now are you sure you dont have an extended warranty?

freon :

Dear JACustomer,

freon :

are you still there?

freon :

I read that the coil was rusted but is it leaking refrigerant?

Customer:

try

freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor

Dear JACustomer,

I was hoping to enter into a conversation with you but you must have decided you had your question answered. I have some more advice for you. Search out your area on the Trane website "dealer locater" put in your zip code, and look for a special dealer who has become a Trane Comfort Specialist. They can do what is called an individual concession for you on the coil if it is a freon leaker. What this means is, if the coil is out of warranty and the Comfort Specialist believes that this was no fault of yours and is just not fair for you. He has the discretion to warranty the coil (no parts cost to you only labor) This should reduce the total cost by almost 50%. Hope this helps! Go to: WWW.Trane.com. then click on Residential air conditioning, then click on the locater box and put your zip code in it. A list of dealers in your area will come up and you can pick one that is a Comfort Specialist. Work with him and let him know about the Concessions program.

freon