HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

cool on code on carrier thermostat flashing after storm pa…

Customer Question
cool on code on carrier...
cool on code on carrier thermostat flashing after storm passed
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/24/2010
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Chat Conversation Started
Phil :

Hello, .lightening storms can damage electronics controls. Does the stat still work to operate your system in cooling and heating mode.?

Customer:

yes i think so. i can turn on fan and air conditioning seems like compressor not functioing as usual. cool air comig from the fan outside the compressor.

Customer:

an airconditiong service can come tomorrow but it will probably cost me.

Customer:

is there a way to reset the system

Phil :

The compressor is off, could be an electronics control card issue.. due to the electrical storm. or a burnt out compressor etc. If you have a multi meter we can check a few things before the tech arrives... that will help you in dealing with him.

Customer:

no multimeter

Phil :

in that case wait for the tech.. hope he is sharp...if he whips out a multi meter right off to verify power to the unit, then kills power to the unit and uses the meter to look for a short..he is on the ball and his diagnosis is probably pretty good.... if he fumbles around that will be a sign he is short a clue or two.

Phil :

tell me how old your unit is and i can provide some more insight on what may be wrong with it.

Customer:

house built in 2002 air bear filter changed every four months. never needed service.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Thanks for the accept AND the tip! the unit is 8 years old, over due for fan motor failure, lets hope its that, and close to the end of the compressor life as well, if the repair cost is over $200, stay in touch I will give you recommendations on how to get a good deal on a new unit.