HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an Apartment Complex in Naples Florida built in late…

Customer Question
I have an Apartment Complex...
I have an Apartment Complex in Naples Florida built in late 1997- early 1999. We installed 10 SEER HVAC Systems at the time and now we are needing to replace some of the Condenser Units as a result of deterioration of the aluminum fins on the condenser units which is causing the units to operate and cool improperly (below both my and the residents expectations.

I have purchased new Condensing Units which are 13 SEER rated but the HVAC Code official is telling me that I must either match the Air handler to the new Condensing Unit or produce testing that proves that the exisiting air handler when matched to the new condensing unit will produce the SEER rating of the higher component.

First of all, I doubt that can occur, but there probably will be an improvement, secondly since the Government (DOE) does not require that Manufacturers produce and list AHRI ratings on older units less than 13 SEER. This suggests that anyone that has an older unit must replace the entire system or sit and sweat to death until they can afford to do so.

I do not think this is the intent of the code or the DOE, Has Florida taken this to an extreme or is there a way around it......other than just installing them and worrying about it later.....

Is there a department within the state that will clarify this, does anyone have a contact person and direct telephone #?

So far my permit requests have been denied for lack of performance calcualtions, MFG Engineers of both the original Air Handler (AllStyle) and the new Condensing Units (R-22) Bryant cannot help but have provided whatever information they can to this regard which is basically saying the only things they can match up to is new/newer 13 SEER equipment, as mentioned before as required by DOE.

Look forward to you answers or suggestions.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/24/2010
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hi, I can answer your question, lets handle them one at a time. Click 'accept' when you are satisfied.. or we can get another expert.

city hall is holding all the aces, bogus aces or not..thats all that counts. you should be able to grandfather in the old coils, furnace and duct, but thats not how they have chosen to play it... you will have to replace the evap coils that are required by the condensing unit mfgr to produce 13 SEER net result.. lacking that you might get 12 SEER out of the systems, not per the current code that any replacement requires comming up to the current standard minimum, 13 SEER.

You should not have to replace the refrigerant tubing though. the coils are worth about $200 extra wholesale, a retail price might be in the $300 range, installed at the same time as the new condensing units it should run up your tab by that amount plus an extra hours labor.

Stay in touch as you require more information etc