HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I recently returned from vacation and had turned the a/c down…

Customer Question
I recently returned from vacation...
I recently returned from vacation and had turned the a/c down to 80 degrees while gone. When I returned, I set the thermostat to 72 degrees. The temperature would not go below 83 last night. Is there anything that I should check before calling for repair?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2010
HVAC Technician: ComfortZone, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
ComfortZone
ComfortZone, HVAC Technician
Chat Conversation Started
ComfortZone :

Is the outdoor unit running?

Customer:

I turned it off 30 mins ago.

Customer:

when it was turned on it just blew warm air

Customer:

unit is approx 5 years old and it is about 100 degrees outside today

ComfortZone :

You have an indoor unit and an outdoor unit. When you turn the system the indoor fan should come on. I need to know if the outdoor fan comes on as well.

Customer:

it does

Customer:

when it is on, it is not blowing warm air...which is what i expected

ComfortZone :

It could be that you have a blown capacitor in the outdoor unit. You will have to open the access panel and check to see if it is bulging from the top.

ComfortZone :

Full Size Image

Customer:

thanks...checking now

ComfortZone :

Bulging capacitor.

Full Size Image

Customer:

I have an upstairs unit and a downstairs unit. I turned both off and looked at each and do not see any difference, other than the one that is operating correctly is wet

ComfortZone :

You have 2 AC systems, is that correct?

Customer:

yes

ComfortZone :

From what you tell me, it sounds as if the one that is not cooling has a problem with either the compressor not starting or you are low on refrigerant. The only sure way to know is with a set of gages or an multimeter.

Customer:

ok. I guess there is no way to fix it myself? I called a repairman but will not be able to make it out til Monday.

ComfortZone :

You could try to replace the capacitor. Just get the numbers off the one that is in there and go to a supply house and see if they will sell you one. It costs about 20 dollars and that may fix your problem. Or you can wait on the repairman.

Customer:

ok. thanks

ComfortZone :

Sorry I could not get it working today. Thanks for using the site.