HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

What could cause the blower to not have a high output, new…

Customer Question
What could cause the blower...
What could cause the blower to not have a high output,
new moter with 2x as much horsepower as the previous?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/23/2010
HVAC Technician: Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician replied 8 years ago
Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Mark Henley :

Hi, is this a blower motor ? Horse power is relative to other conditions having a higher horse power doesn't mean that it will move air unless the previous motor was undersized and could not run up to the rated RPM for the unit, is a lack of airflow the problem you are having ?

Customer:

yes it has low velicity

Customer:

we installed a new motor, where the old one had 1/8th hp, this one has 1/4 hp, also it has a new limit switch, and we removed and cleand the squirall cage

Customer:

in changing the changing the motor, could the capasitor still think there is a 18HP motor, and not allow the motor to rotate at the proper RPM?

Customer:

i mean 1/8hp

Mark Henley :

Hi, you definitely needed to change the capacitor with the new motor, were they rated for the same micro-farads ( MFD ) ? Usually 5 or 7.5 ? , the capacitor could have been the problem

Customer: where is the capacitor located
Mark Henley :

Hi, its a silver type can with electrical terminals on it, its usually located right on the motor housing but if you follow the wires from the motor you will find the silver can that I am talking about, it looks like this picture below

Full Size Image

Customer: we found the catacitor attached to the outside AC unit, none close to or at the inside furnace section, is this the correct one?
Mark Henley :

Hi, no that one is for the outdoor unit, there has to be in indoors but if there is not then there may have not been one on the original motor but the new motor definitely needs one, can you look on the label of the motor and see the )| sign on it anywhere in the wiring of it, also it should say that it needs a 7.5 or 5 mfd right on the motor, let me know.

Customer: mfd not found anywhere on the motor, did find SFA 5.9 and s.f 1.35, it is an emerson motor
Customer: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alpinehomeair.com%2F_viewresource.cfm%2FID%2F1645%2Fp%2FEmerson%25208000%2520Dimensional%2520Print&ei=EIMiTJ3DJsP78Ab6wIC0BQ&usg=AFQjCNFKdJO-fSu8aO3T-k1tuHzf0dv61w
Mark Henley :

Hi, ok this is a 56 frame motor, the capcitor is probably internal or attaqched to it, so no need to worry about that,